Other options besides mulch

+5
Been buying mulch for yrs. What else is out there that won't cost a fortune any ideas thanks

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 11, 2018
    mulch is the cheapest option
  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Apr 11, 2018
    HI Linmarie814
    Some people use leaves or grass clippings. They don't look as good as much but it does work. The only issue I see is weed seeds from the lawn getting into the gardens. Another option might be peat moss. That's usually pretty inexpensive. A different Hometalk member wrote that she uses straw. Click on the link below to see what she wrote. Wishing you the best.
    https://www.hometalk.com/19251876/straw-composting-die-weed-seeds-die-?r=2
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Apr 11, 2018
    I use shredded leaves and cut grass, you don't have to pay a penny for that. The excess I keep in a pile in my veggie garden and till a bunch of it into the garden in the spring. In my neighborhood you can't have compost bins built in your yard, so I have my pile in the garden where nobody can see it (my squash plant covers it really well).
  • Sharon Sharon on Apr 11, 2018
    You can use pea gravel, white stone, haY!
  • See what you think here:

At my old house we did a couple beds in river rock. Some was free some was purchased. We placed several layers of landscape fabric then the rocks on top. Eventually they sink in and every couple of years, we dig out, put new landscape fabric down, wash the rocks off and replace. But at least we do not need to continue to but traditional mulch over and over.
  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Apr 11, 2018
    Ive seen pea gravel and marble chips used.
  • MamaSita MamaSita on Apr 11, 2018
    stones..large ones though if you have leaves. Put down pavers too to break it up and save on the cost of the stones. Be creative, pavers don't have to be made from stone or concrete. Wood ones work too...google it and see what you can find on pinterest for organic pavers.
    stones ,gravel are more money then mulch.leaves could have bacteria, and grass should not be used as mulch