Use Dollar Store Vases To Create Outdoor Lighting

$2

I love solar lighting around my patio area in the summer but sometimes the ones you can purchase aren't very pretty or cost too much for me. I decided to spruce them up with some dollar store vases. These end up costing $2 per light (not including the markers) but look so much better than the dollar lights.

use dollar store vases to create outdoor lighting

For each light I used a dollar store vase, a solar light and (affiliate link) oil based sharpies. I chose the green and white to draw dandelions on my vases.

Start by drawing the stem. I drew one stem then on the opposite side of the vase I drew a second stem.

Next, add the flower part with the white sharpie. I have a step by step tutorial on the blog but basically you draw the lines, then the dots. If it doesn't look right you can wipe it off and start over. Although do this right away it is easier to wipe off before it dries.

Then I added some flying dandelions. Just like they are blowing in the wind.

When you have the design you like, bake them. Place them on a cookie sheet in a cool oven. Bake at 200 for 2 hours. Then turn the oven off and remove them when the oven is completely cool.

Take the solar light apart. I used just the light for this.

Place the light into the vase and you are done!

They work nicely and they look much better than the other solar lights. These are perfect for setting on tables around your outdoor space!

This is the best picture I have of them in the dark. It is hard to get a good one outside.

If you like easy crafts and home decor then you will probably like my blog. You can sign up for my email/newsletter and receive weekly craft ideas and tips.

I hope you like these solar lights!

Michelle

Michelle James

• Lynda

I love this! One ? If i put them on my deck and it rains will water get into the bottle? I know you could empty the bottles but was just wondering. It wont stop me from making them however.

• Shelly Moore

You could run a bead of hot or cool melt glue around rim of light and vase to keep water out. ***Helpful hint with solar lights.....paint the solar panels with clear nail polish!!!. We have lots of minerals in our water that can make the solar panels get all cloudy so they eventually quit working. 😞BTW, You can replace, some solar light batteries! Ones I've done all used AAA batteries. Just screw top off and replace. Some have little tabs or clips. They can last quite a few years. :-)

• Jeannie Herman

I LOVE this!! I am getting a new concrete patio...I am going to add this to my design!! On the table. Can't wait!!

• Rita

I ordered the vases u had on your project but they were too big at the top of the vase. What was the exact vase that you had for the project? Love this idea! I have everything else:

Rita

• Shelly Moore

I find these all the time at garage sales, estate sales and thrift stores. They are sometimes called clear bud vases. There are other shapes that might work too.

• Angel

and if you have wind like we do or if table gets knocked a bit, you can place colored glass stones or sand etc. to weight the bottom down, and it will help keep from tipping.

Great idea for lighting,

thanks

• Goldbeargirl

I LOVE this!! I think I would put different colored glass stones in them too! Thank you for this awesome and simple idea!!

• Michelle James

Thank you. I love this idea with the colored glass stones. It would look nice and weigh them down a little.