Use Dollar Store Vases To Create Outdoor Lighting

$2

I love solar lighting around my patio area in the summer but sometimes the ones you can purchase aren't very pretty or cost too much for me. I decided to spruce them up with some dollar store vases. These end up costing $2 per light (not including the markers) but look so much better than the dollar lights.
use dollar store vases to create outdoor lighting
For each light I used a dollar store vase, a solar light and (affiliate link) oil based sharpies. I chose the green and white to draw dandelions on my vases.
Start by drawing the stem. I drew one stem then on the opposite side of the vase I drew a second stem.
Next, add the flower part with the white sharpie. I have a step by step tutorial on the blog but basically you draw the lines, then the dots. If it doesn't look right you can wipe it off and start over. Although do this right away it is easier to wipe off before it dries.
Then I added some flying dandelions. Just like they are blowing in the wind.

When you have the design you like, bake them. Place them on a cookie sheet in a cool oven. Bake at 200 for 2 hours. Then turn the oven off and remove them when the oven is completely cool.
Take the solar light apart. I used just the light for this.

Place the light into the vase and you are done!
They work nicely and they look much better than the other solar lights. These are perfect for setting on tables around your outdoor space!
This is the best picture I have of them in the dark. It is hard to get a good one outside.
If you like easy crafts and home decor then you will probably like my blog. You can sign up for my email/newsletter and receive weekly craft ideas and tips.

I hope you like these solar lights!
Michelle
Michelle James

• Molly Chris Mathis

Tese are adorable! I think the ONLY thing I would maybe change is to paint the black shiney tops with a mat finish so they aren't so noticeable. Do you think that would interfere with the light properties?

• Michelle James

I think if you carefully masked off the solar panel part you would be fine painting them.

• Sally Ann Perkins

Do you think it would be too much if you painted the dandelions with glow paint?

• Cheryl

How do the tops stay on top of the vases? Do they just sit on there or are they secured ?