Use Dollar Store Vases To Create Outdoor Lighting

$2

I love solar lighting around my patio area in the summer but sometimes the ones you can purchase aren't very pretty or cost too much for me. I decided to spruce them up with some dollar store vases. These end up costing $2 per light (not including the markers) but look so much better than the dollar lights.

For each light I used a dollar store vase, a solar light and (affiliate link) oil based sharpies. I chose the green and white to draw dandelions on my vases.

Start by drawing the stem. I drew one stem then on the opposite side of the vase I drew a second stem.

Next, add the flower part with the white sharpie. I have a step by step tutorial on the blog but basically you draw the lines, then the dots. If it doesn't look right you can wipe it off and start over. Although do this right away it is easier to wipe off before it dries.

Then I added some flying dandelions. Just like they are blowing in the wind.

When you have the design you like, bake them. Place them on a cookie sheet in a cool oven. Bake at 200 for 2 hours. Then turn the oven off and remove them when the oven is completely cool.

Take the solar light apart. I used just the light for this.

Place the light into the vase and you are done!

They work nicely and they look much better than the other solar lights. These are perfect for setting on tables around your outdoor space!

This is the best picture I have of them in the dark. It is hard to get a good one outside.

If you like easy crafts and home decor then you will probably like my blog. You can sign up for my email/newsletter and receive weekly craft ideas and tips.

I hope you like these solar lights!

Michelle

Michelle James

• Rita

I ordered the vases u had on your project but they were too big at the top of the vase. What was the exact vase that you had for the project? Love this idea! I have everything else:

Rita

• Kristi Lowe

She said she got the vases at the dollar store. I think she got the solar lights there as well as she said it cost her $2 not including the markers. This site adds supplies at the bottom as advertisements so you have to go by what the instructions in the blog say most times.

• Mimi

Hello, an Oven on for 2 hours? This very pretty idea just got very expensive!

• Judy

This is cute, but do the solar lights heat up? I am not familiar with using them but I used to do 20-35 light Christmas lights and they got too hot in the bottle or vase - needed an outlet for the heat.

• Lovesunique

Thinking of all the old Good Seasons bottles I end up with if I don't just buy the envelopes in a box. Also, I think I might paint the solar lights to match whatever paint I use on the bottle. Great idea, thank you!

• Denise Mixon

I cant wait to try this.