Attic Loft Floor and Roof Space Conversion on a Budget.

$1200
2 Weeks

I needed more storage and a craft room so why not use existing space right over our heads?
Here is my loft conversion and storage space solution using flooring to create a mezzanine floor for growing families and others who just need a straightforward solution to a restricted space problem.
Not My Office?
What can I do about a lack of space? I need to store building supplies, office equipment, Christmas decorations, old furniture for future projects as well as having somewhere to park the car over the winter.
A view into the roof void above the garage revealed around 1800mm or 6 feet of clear head space, except for the framing holding the roof up!
Cutting a hole in the gable end to allow the installation of a ridge beam to get the project started.
Ridge Beam cut to length and ready to be lifted into position, ready with hanging brackets, props, fasteners and bracing timbers. This step isn't too difficult you just have to be careful and be prepared by planning your work process by leaving supports in place that need to be there until the new ridge can take the weight, plus have help if the timber is heavy or awkward, tell your helper or helpers what you have planned and keep the communication going so everyone on site is aware of what's happening. No one should be below you whilst working as a dropped hammer os falling timber will ruin their and your day!
Truss Supports which have to be removed - I consulted a structural engineer to ensure I had the correct size timber (lumber) to replace the framing and had sufficient support across the existing truss to take the new load, check with your local building authority or someone such as an engineer to ensure you are working to code. Some regions require planning to ensure compliance with local or state rules when making structural changes as some are deemed to be 'significant' and require permits and sometimes progress inspections of the works.
Progressing Nicely!
Here's the conversion so far, I'm gaining a lot of useable roof space as well as ensuring the floor and roof is still structurally sound.
More to come soon

• 19mm Yellow Tongue Chipboard Flooring, 3600mm x 900mm x 19mm  (Local Hardware Store)
  • MGP10 Treated Pine Timber Framing  (Local Hardware Store)
  • Fixings - Bolts and Timber screws  (Local Bolt Supplier)

To see more: http://buildingandpestinspectionsalburywodonga.com.au/

• Andrew Bounader

Will do Wendy!

Thanks for the encouragement

Andrew

• Miriam I

Remarkable!

• Andrew Bounader

Hi Miriam,

Thanks, it is really very straight forward to do and almost finished. We had a diversion mid project of finishing off the small person's bedroom... major makeover for miss 7yrs old...