How to Put Pegboard on a Block Wall to Cover Up Ugly Pipes!

Living in Southern California, it's rare that anyone has a basement. Well, we're one of the few that actually has a small basement - our laundry room and my husband's work shop are down there. I know I might be weird, but doing laundry in a dark, ugly basement isn't fun and so I wanted to do whatever I could do make it pretty and more pleasant while I was folding all that laundry every week!
So, I came up with this "brilliant" idea that we could cover up the ugly pipes on the wall by putting pegboard on it. My husband thought I was crazy, but I talked him into it. He's smart and always comes up with a way to get things to work - I love that about him! Pegboard is cheap and not so pretty either, so I decided to stencil a whole piece - which I realized could fit across the wall. My husband used small blocks and special screws to screw into the block wall and used a jigsaw {after he measured around things} to cut the whole thing to fit on the wall. It looks fabulous and doing laundry is much more fun now that it's pretty - and organized having the pegboard!
home
Before and after of the wall of ugly pipes covered by stenciled pegboard!
Cover ugly pipes on a block wall -- Click the link to learn the steps to do this easy cover up!

Organizing Made Fun-Becky Barnfather

• Chris Pattinson

Fantastic idea!!! How do you fasten the board to the wall?

• Andrea

Where did you find the stencil you used?

• Merrilee Morrison-Cotter

I am doing this to my dungeon. Thanks for the idea. Question: what are you using ofr your detergent, softener, etc.? I am wondering about using that glass water dispenser I seldom use.

• Sheryl

Great idea!!

• Doreen Kennedy

I've been wanting to do my entire 100 year old basement in painted pegboard. I bought 20 sheets from a going out of business sale. Now that I've seen yours I feel inspired to get moving on mine. Yours looks so great. Thanks for sharing.