Cleaning Closet Makeover

105K Views
Organize your cleaning closet to find what you need faster AND fit in all the necessities! This project utilizes all the space in a small closet by using shelves and storage on the back of the door.

Time: 2 DaysCost: $100Difficulty: Medium
Our cleaning closet was a disaster. Nothing fit properly, it was dark, and -- as a result -- a huge mess! So we changed it in a variety of ways.
First we removed everything from the closet.
  • cleaning closet makeover
Then we removed the built-in shelves that were not fitting our things.
  • cleaning closet makeover
We patched holes and sanded!
  • cleaning closet makeover
Then we painted the entire closet a nice, clean white! Note that we used satin paint, rather than flat paint, so it would be easier to clean.
  • cleaning closet makeover
Next, we built new floating shelves that were better sized to our cleaning supplies and tools. We chose these sizes by measuring the things we put in our closet -- the staggered design is to allow our taller items, like the vacuum and brooms, to fit while still using the most of the space.
  • cleaning closet makeover
And then we painted the new shelves, too!
  • cleaning closet makeover
We put our brooms on the wall with brackets so they wouldn't clutter the bottom.
  • cleaning closet makeover
We nailed an over-the-door shoe holder to the back of our door. It's nailed in many places to be sure it is sturdy.
  • cleaning closet makeover
Then we stocked our closet with all the things we use to clean our house!
  • cleaning closet makeover
We also made these convenient trash bag holders so we could get to our bags easier and reduce a bunch of box clutter in our closet.
  • cleaning closet makeover
These long baskets allow us to store many little things in the closet without worry that they will fall off the shelves.
  • cleaning closet makeover
We also added an LED motion sensor to the top of the door so we'd have light each time we opened it.
  • cleaning closet makeover
And here is the cleaning closet, all clean, bright, and organized. It's a joy to use now.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of July 10, 2018 11:27 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Jennifer Maker

• Cri619313
    Cri619313

We are going to have a new kitchen fitted and as my husband does all the cooking and I am the KP we compromised. He decided the lay out and I chose the cabinet and worktop style that would be easy to clean! I also said a cupboard for the cleaning products, hoover, mop & bucket, ironing board etc was on my wish list! So I will definitely be using your ideas for this! Thank you for sharing x

• Catherine Williams
      Catherine Williams

Very well done,i couldn't use this for cleaning products as i buy white vinegar and bicarb in bulk for cleaning .I can see me useing it for craft organisation and in the garden shed in fact so many uses around the home .Thank you for shareing you clever idea .