Cleaning Closet Makeover

$100

Organize your cleaning closet to find what you need faster AND fit in all the necessities! This project utilizes all the space in a small closet by using shelves and storage on the back of the door.

cleaning closet makeover, Our cleaning closet transformation
Our cleaning closet transformation
Our cleaning closet was a disaster. Nothing fit properly, it was dark, and -- as a result -- a huge mess! So we changed it in a variety of ways.
cleaning closet makeover, Emptied cleaning closet
Emptied cleaning closet
First we removed everything from the closet.
cleaning closet makeover
Then we removed the built-in shelves that were not fitting our things.
cleaning closet makeover
We patched holes and sanded!
cleaning closet makeover
Then we painted the entire closet a nice, clean white! Note that we used satin paint, rather than flat paint, so it would be easier to clean.
cleaning closet makeover
Next, we built new floating shelves that were better sized to our cleaning supplies and tools. We chose these sizes by measuring the things we put in our closet -- the staggered design is to allow our taller items, like the vacuum and brooms, to fit while still using the most of the space.
cleaning closet makeover
And then we painted the new shelves, too!
cleaning closet makeover
We put our brooms on the wall with brackets so they wouldn't clutter the bottom.
cleaning closet makeover
We nailed an over-the-door shoe holder to the back of our door. It's nailed in many places to be sure it is sturdy.
cleaning closet makeover
Then we stocked our closet with all the things we use to clean our house!
cleaning closet makeover
We also made these convenient trash bag holders so we could get to our bags easier and reduce a bunch of box clutter in our closet.
cleaning closet makeover
These long baskets allow us to store many little things in the closet without worry that they will fall off the shelves.
cleaning closet makeover
We also added an LED motion sensor to the top of the door so we'd have light each time we opened it.
cleaning closet makeover
And here is the cleaning closet, all clean, bright, and organized. It's a joy to use now.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 13, 2018 10:36 PM - More info
Jennifer Maker

• Sheila

The door is bi-fold. How do you close it with the shoe organizer across the whole door?

• Rachelle

SSo Glad that was answered. I have a bi-fold door on my cleaning closet and now I know exactly how to fix that so I can use the shoe organizer. I have a cleaning caddy, but obviously it doesn't fit all my supplies. This will sure help. Thanks!

• Gini

I like the holder for the trash bags but how did you get the dowel through the roll of bags?

• Jennifer Maker

Our trash bags had a little empty space that we could slide our dowel through. Perhaps it depends on the brand!

• Esther

With your new configuration, how many vacuums will it hold? I have an upright behemoth, a stick-vac, & a steam mop. Love the layout, but really need to find a home for these particular items.

• Esther

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to plot this out on paper. Still, I like the organization!

• Carol Marszalek

Beautiful! Appeals to my -Container Store-IKEA OCD (Organization/Container Store/DYI) mania!!!!😝

• Pat C

Your cleaning closet makeover is nothing short of brilliant! I love what you did - only wish I had the available space for something similar. I really like your idea of using a shoe holder for your cleaning supplies, but can't help but wonder how well it will hold up with all that weight. Thanks for sharing!