DIY Craft Table With Storage

$295
1 Day

I wanted a big craft table with lots of workspace AND lots of storage. It turns out this is not something you just buy. But I didn't want to make it entirely from scratch either. So I hacked together some inexpensive IKEA units into an amazing craft table with tons of storage!

I started by positioning my units where I wanted them to go -- the Kallax unit is in the front and two Alex drawers are in the back, with space in between.
The Kallax unit is a different height than the Alex units, so we cut spacers from two Haggeby doors we bought at IKEA. To make these spacers, we cut 2 5/8″ off each long end to create four 2 5/8″ high by 23″ long strips.
Next, we attached the spacers to the top of the Alex drawers using backets -- this diagram shows you where we put each spacer. Make sure you keep the finished edges on the outside so they look nice.
Note that the inner spacers can attach right to drawers with flat brackets, but you’ll want to use L-brackets to attach the outer spacers to the tops of the Alex drawers. In this photo, you can see where we’ve attached an inner spacer to the edge of the drawer with a flat bracket. We later painted the bracket white so it wouldn’t be noticeable when looking at the table, but this not really necessary.
To bridge the gap between the units, attach the two Heggeby doors to the open areas. Use two hinges and a magnetic door catch, as well as attach a door handle. These doors will perfectly bridge and cover the gap between the Alex drawers and Kallax shelves, and provide accessible storage for whatever you want. I put my trash cans behind these doors. When both doors are on, this entire collection of shelves/drawers/doors becomes your base unit.
Next, put your Linnmon tabletops FACE DOWN on top of your Kallax shelves and drawers. You want to attach the two tabletops together using brackets on the under side of the tabletops (which is what you’ll see when you put the tabletops face down). The under side of the tabletops look different than the top sides, so you know you're working on the right side.
Carefully flip your attached tabletops over and position them on top of your base unit. Attach the tabletop to both the Kallax shelves AND the Alex drawers using L-brackets on the underside of the table. (You’ll need to crawl in and underneath the table to attach the brackets.)
And that's it! Here is the finished table in my craft room looks like!
And here's the back side of the craft table.

• Two (2) Alex drawers  (IKEA)
  • One (1) Kallax shelving unit  (IKEA)
  • Two (2) Linnmon tabletops (59×29 1/2″)  (IKEA)

Jennifer Maker

1 comment
  • Dee

Great ideas! I hope I can adlib your idea to fit my needs and limited space I have in my sewing room. Its semi organized using odds and ends of tables, night stands, and other items I had around my home. I did buy two cubical storage units and stacked them together using screws and L brackets. I also attached them to the wall for safety reasons. I wish I could come up with enough room in my limited space for a craft table!! My dining room table would be happy ! Thanks for sharing your ideas 👍😁