Custom Coasters From Scrap Plywood

$10

I always have scrap plywood laying around, so I've been searching for ways to use it up. I had a small piece of 1/4" plywood that wasn't big enough for anything useful, until I cut it up into small squares to make coasters!
custom coasters from scrap plywood
After cutting the plywood into four inch squares, I sanded down the edges and corners lightly with a sanding sponge.
custom coasters from scrap plywood
I wanted to create a set of four coasters with a variety of floral designs. I stenciled each design onto the plywood squares.
custom coasters from scrap plywood
To make the design permanent, I used my woodburning tool to burn the pattern into the wood.
custom coasters from scrap plywood
I added color with watercolor pencils. The burned edges of the design keeps the color inside the lines.

custom coasters from scrap plywood
Then I added water to each colored section to brighten it up! The design really came alive as the water mixed with the watercolor pencil.
custom coasters from scrap plywood
To protect the final design, I sprayed each one with clear wood finish. Now the coasters can get wet without bleeding the color further!

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 08, 2018 10:26 PM - More info
Vineta @ The Handyman's Daughter