Custom Coasters From Scrap Plywood

49K Views
I always have scrap plywood laying around, so I've been searching for ways to use it up. I had a small piece of 1/4" plywood that wasn't big enough for anything useful, until I cut it up into small squares to make coasters!
Time: 1 HoursCost: $10Difficulty: Easy
  • custom coasters from scrap plywood
After cutting the plywood into four inch squares, I sanded down the edges and corners lightly with a sanding sponge.
  • custom coasters from scrap plywood
I wanted to create a set of four coasters with a variety of floral designs. I stenciled each design onto the plywood squares.
  • custom coasters from scrap plywood
To make the design permanent, I used my woodburning tool to burn the pattern into the wood.
  • custom coasters from scrap plywood
I added color with watercolor pencils. The burned edges of the design keeps the color inside the lines.

• custom coasters from scrap plywood
Then I added water to each colored section to brighten it up! The design really came alive as the water mixed with the watercolor pencil.
  • custom coasters from scrap plywood
To protect the final design, I sprayed each one with clear wood finish. Now the coasters can get wet without bleeding the color further!

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of May 24, 2018 11:43 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Vineta @ The Handyman's Daughter

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Ask a Question