Faux Brick Walkway

$25
1 Week

I saw article this in one of my Dad's Handyman Magazine Issues many
years ago, tore it out, saved it and have wanted to do it ever since. It was a great way to tie in the sidewalk with my salvaged brick edging and makeshift "sitting area" under the Arbor.
I hosed the walkway with high pressure from my garden hose.

The article said to use special  cement paint. I just tweaked the materials a bit to make less expensive.

The next day I got a large jar, went through my craft paints and leftover paint house I picked up at garage sales - oranges, reds, browns, etc.
I mixed them all really well up to resemble brick color. Not to bad eh?
You can see the jar in this photo.

The magazines directions were to use a 6'' roller. I have a 6'' roller but thought sponges may be easier since I could cut them to any odd size when needed or I got to an edge. Enter Dollar Tree sponges.
This is the original article I kept for so many years! I still have it! LOL
With weather in the 100's it took longer than planned,
too hot to work on during the day.
So I worked on it a little each morning
I was usually able to get a section done a day.

It didn't turn out perfect which is good.
I wanted it to blend with the rest of my salvaged brick ''patios''
and garden edgings that I put together like a jigsaw puzzles with: cemented together clumps, cement left on, halves and pieces of bricks from my Dad's used brick pile.
I ended up putting one coat of cement sealer on which I was torn about. I wanted it to develop that worn look, but was afraid that when it got to the look I wanted, I'd never get around to putting a sealer on.

I got up at 5am to put that coat of sealer on it while it was only 80*.
It started sprinkling half way through!
 I ignored it and finished.
The sprinkling didn't amount to much
but I think Mother Nature doesn't like me!

Next :

the driveway?

Maybe someday! 

Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

• Glenda Camp

I was wondering if you could do this on wood? I’m thinking of doing my deck in the back. I was thinking of using a stencil but a sponge might be easier.

• Carol Harris

did you tape it first? or just free style? it looks so good.

• Donna M

This looks really awesome. Could you do something simulating ceramic tile inside the house. You know, with paint?

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

I don't see why not. That would look awesome! Great idea. I've been thinking of ripping my carpet out of my living room and hall, like I did in my bedroom, ( you can see it on my page), you just gave me an idea

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

It's been 5 years since I did my Faux Bricks and I have to say they've held up better than I expected them too. Of course they aren't bright and shiny as when they were first done - thank goodness that "newness" wore off. They are duller in areas that we walk on the most but over all I'm impressed and surprised. If life had slowed down a bit I would have put on another sealer coat last year. I'm sure that's what protected my silly little craft paint over the years. In hindsight a sealer every couple years for me would do. For someone that wants to keep a newer look, every year.

Thanks for asking!

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

Took a lot of years before I had my own home I could try it on. Well worth the wait. Everyone that sees it compliments me on it. It's just starting to need a touch up here and there but can't complain for leftover craft paint! I think I probably should have re-sealed it ever or every other year.

Still glad I did it. Wish I had the stamina and time to do the drive way! LOL

• Lynn

I have a cinderblock foundation on my house but always wanted brick 🧱 I wonder how this would look.