Faux Brick Walkway

$25
1 Week

I saw article this in one of my Dad's Handyman Magazine Issues many
years ago, tore it out, saved it and have wanted to do it ever since. It was a great way to tie in the sidewalk with my salvaged brick edging and makeshift "sitting area" under the Arbor.
I hosed the walkway with high pressure from my garden hose.

The article said to use special  cement paint. I just tweaked the materials a bit to make less expensive.

The next day I got a large jar, went through my craft paints and leftover paint house I picked up at garage sales - oranges, reds, browns, etc.
I mixed them all really well up to resemble brick color. Not to bad eh?
You can see the jar in this photo.

The magazines directions were to use a 6'' roller. I have a 6'' roller but thought sponges may be easier since I could cut them to any odd size when needed or I got to an edge. Enter Dollar Tree sponges.
This is the original article I kept for so many years! I still have it! LOL
With weather in the 100's it took longer than planned,
too hot to work on during the day.
So I worked on it a little each morning
I was usually able to get a section done a day.

It didn't turn out perfect which is good.
I wanted it to blend with the rest of my salvaged brick ''patios''
and garden edgings that I put together like a jigsaw puzzles with: cemented together clumps, cement left on, halves and pieces of bricks from my Dad's used brick pile.
I ended up putting one coat of cement sealer on which I was torn about. I wanted it to develop that worn look, but was afraid that when it got to the look I wanted, I'd never get around to putting a sealer on.

I got up at 5am to put that coat of sealer on it while it was only 80*.
It started sprinkling half way through!
 I ignored it and finished.
The sprinkling didn't amount to much
but I think Mother Nature doesn't like me!

Next :

the driveway?

Maybe someday! 
Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

• Glenda Camp

I was wondering if you could do this on wood? I’m thinking of doing my deck in the back. I was thinking of using a stencil but a sponge might be easier.

• Carol Harris

did you tape it first? or just free style? it looks so good.

• Donna M

This looks really awesome. Could you do something simulating ceramic tile inside the house. You know, with paint?

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

I don't see why not. That would look awesome! Great idea. I've been thinking of ripping my carpet out of my living room and hall, like I did in my bedroom, ( you can see it on my page), you just gave me an idea

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

YIKES! Time to go faux with that price! There's a lot of variables - the weather (I could only work a few hours in the morning and that was getting up around 6am. Our temps were in the 100's and it wasn't cooling down at night), my mind said yes, but my body said NO (I did most of it on my knees), how much of a perfectionist you are. I didn't "draw" out any lines to go by to keep me straight, I just went for it, cuz that's ME. Cut sponges as needed so there would be a staggered pattern. I did the whole thing by myself after divorcing from an abusive marriage of 40 yrs. He was a perfectionist, I am def not. I could finally do things "my" way. I remember smiling the whole way through even though I was in pain and broke! LOL

That walkway took me a week to complete. A driveway - depends on how big it is. I have a two car driveway and would love to do it...but then I think of my son's car leaking oil on it, black marks from the tires. It's already stained and dirty. Maybe the faux bricks would help hide all that? hmm ....but other projects have moved into my mind since. And this darn thing of 5 jobs to keep paying bills keeps me busy! LOL You'll need breaks, of course. Even if they are a few days in between. You can always park your cars in the street temporarily. I did something similar to my bedroom, that was hard not being able to go in there. I took me longer than the walkway!

It would prob go faster if you used the roller like in the article. Sponges were $1 at the Dollar Store and in my budget. I would've used cement paint if I could've afforded it. Especially for a driveway I would think you would have to. Make sure you seal it afterwards and each year thereafter. I didn't seal but that one time. It is finally showing wear, which is what I wanted, I didn't want it to look pristine. But there are certain spot that we all must step on that has almost worn away. It needs a touch up and reseal. I should have resealed every year. I used craft paint and whatever else I had after all.

Good luck with whatever you decide. It's really fairly easy and would look really great I'm sure. GO FOR IT!!

• Merry Menden

This is beautiful and much more appealing than the builder grade cement walkway I have! It certainly gets me thinking!