Faux Brick Walkway

$25
1 Week

I saw article this in one of my Dad's Handyman Magazine Issues many
years ago, tore it out, saved it and have wanted to do it ever since. It was a great way to tie in the sidewalk with my salvaged brick edging and makeshift "sitting area" under the Arbor.
faux brick walkway
I hosed the walkway with high pressure from my garden hose.

The article said to use special  cement paint. I just tweaked the materials a bit to make less expensive.

The next day I got a large jar, went through my craft paints and leftover paint house I picked up at garage sales - oranges, reds, browns, etc.
I mixed them all really well up to resemble brick color. Not to bad eh?
You can see the jar in this photo.

The magazines directions were to use a 6'' roller. I have a 6'' roller but thought sponges may be easier since I could cut them to any odd size when needed or I got to an edge. Enter Dollar Tree sponges.
faux brick walkway
This is the original article I kept for so many years! I still have it! LOL
faux brick walkway
With weather in the 100's it took longer than planned,
too hot to work on during the day.
faux brick walkway
So I worked on it a little each morning
faux brick walkway
I was usually able to get a section done a day.

faux brick walkway
It didn't turn out perfect which is good.
I wanted it to blend with the rest of my salvaged brick ''patios''
and garden edgings that I put together like a jigsaw puzzles with: cemented together clumps, cement left on, halves and pieces of bricks from my Dad's used brick pile.
faux brick walkway
I ended up putting one coat of cement sealer on which I was torn about. I wanted it to develop that worn look, but was afraid that when it got to the look I wanted, I'd never get around to putting a sealer on.

I got up at 5am to put that coat of sealer on it while it was only 80*.
faux brick walkway
It started sprinkling half way through!
 I ignored it and finished.
The sprinkling didn't amount to much
but I think Mother Nature doesn't like me!

Next :

the driveway?

Maybe someday! 
Debbie / Dragonfly Treasure

• BrenC

I have an old cement covered porch but I wonder if the paint will peel after awhile and then you really have a mess? I know you have to clean it well but we don't have a power washer and it has dark staining from mildew and old age. Any recommendations?

• Glenda Camp

I was wondering if you could do this on wood? I’m thinking of doing my deck in the back. I was thinking of using a stencil but a sponge might be easier.

• Carol Harris

did you tape it first? or just free style? it looks so good.

• Wow what a labor of love. It turned out great!

• Rosie
    30 minutes ago

I also read that same article ( lol ) and I thought you did a great job! I have one that uses different size stones which I always wanted to try, I just may after seeing your beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.