Faux Brick Walkway

$25
1 Weeks

I saw article this in one of my Dad's Handyman Magazine Issues many
years ago, tore it out, saved it and have wanted to do it ever since. It was a great way to tie in the sidewalk with my salvaged brick edging and makeshift "sitting area" under the Arbor.
faux brick walkway
I hosed the walkway with high pressure from my garden hose.

The article said to use special  cement paint. I just tweaked the materials a bit to make less expensive.

The next day I got a large jar, went through my craft paints and leftover paint house I picked up at garage sales - oranges, reds, browns, etc.
I mixed them all really well up to resemble brick color. Not to bad eh?
You can see the jar in this photo.

The magazines directions were to use a 6'' roller. I have a 6'' roller but thought sponges may be easier since I could cut them to any odd size when needed or I got to an edge. Enter Dollar Tree sponges.
faux brick walkway
This is the original article I kept for so many years! I still have it! LOL
faux brick walkway
With weather in the 100's it took longer than planned,
too hot to work on during the day.
faux brick walkway
So I worked on it a little each morning
faux brick walkway
I was usually able to get a section done a day.

faux brick walkway
It didn't turn out perfect which is good.
I wanted it to blend with the rest of my salvaged brick ''patios''
and garden edgings that I put together like a jigsaw puzzles with: cemented together clumps, cement left on, halves and pieces of bricks from my Dad's used brick pile.
faux brick walkway
I ended up putting one coat of cement sealer on which I was torn about. I wanted it to develop that worn look, but was afraid that when it got to the look I wanted, I'd never get around to putting a sealer on.

I got up at 5am to put that coat of sealer on it while it was only 80*.
faux brick walkway
It started sprinkling half way through!
 I ignored it and finished.
The sprinkling didn't amount to much
but I think Mother Nature doesn't like me!

Next :

the driveway?

Maybe someday! 
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 11, 2018 11:34 PM - More info
Debbie Avila Newton

3 questions on this project
  • Jan31556963
    Jun 25, 2018

I would love to do my sidewalk with brick

who carry’s the stencil And do u live in central Texas

• I had intended to use the 6" roler like the article said. But then started thinking about edges and half bricks. Went to the dollar store, got a pack of sponges, left one whole - the size of a whole brick - cut one in half for half a brick, then cut others if needed to vary the pattern. My front arbor has a "floor" made from my Dads reclaimed brick pile on the farm. He was a carpenter and always brought home "anything" discarded. So my "floor" was like putting a puzzle together. Pieces of bricks, bricks still stuck together with cement, some had hunks of cement on them. I made it work and love how it turned out. 90% of my home's yard/garden is from the farm. Railroad ties, rocks, wood, plants, hardware, bailing wire, barbed wire, t-stakes, etc. And all have memories attached. I grew up playing with this stuff.

Anyway, I wanted the walkway to "blend" with the rest of the bricks (arbor floor and garden edging) so it didn't have to be perfect.

A stencil is a great way to go. It's all shaped for you. Everyone just needs to adapt the idea to their comfort zone and their personnel look.

My neighbors all think I'm looney! I was never allowed to do much to my home for 40 yrs. until I was divorced. Once it was all mine and not having anyone telling me "NO!", it's all been fast forward...or at least as fast forward as this old body can go. The mind is willing but the body says "Whoa"! LOL

Not in Texas, I'm in central California

• Wendy Hobson
    May 13, 2018

How did you get the brick look. Very confusing! And a lot of work on your knees.

• Barbara Murphy
      Jul 01, 2018

I wouldn't use sponges. I would use 6 in rollers. I would have 1 6 in , 1 4 in and 1 2 in . They are not expensive and you could sit in stool and not be on your knees.

• Dawn
    May 09, 2018

I’m missing something before I get started. Did you use a stencil?

A stencil it a great way to go. It's all shaped for you. Everyone just needs to adapt the idea to their comfort zone and their personnel look.