Andra Van Der Westhuizen
Andra Van Der Westhuizen
  • Tutorial Team
  • South Africa

Making the Most of Repurposed Wooden Blinds

$2

Recently, I lent a hand to friends who moved into their brand new home. They had taken along and installed wooden blinds that fit the lounge window in width, but not length. I suggested a woven 'frill' at the bottom to add an eye catching finish and distract from the open space between the end of the blinds and the windowsill.
making the most of repurposed wooden blinds
I started this project by lowering the blinds to gauge the area between the bottom of the blinds and the windowsill - and contemplating what kind of finish would look good - tying in with the colour of the bricks and curtains. Deciding on simple macrame knots ending in tassels - materials were very basic and inexpensive, in fact, I only needed some string!

The next step was to measure the string - plus a little bit extra to compensate for the knots - and snip, snip, snip - cutting up the whole ball of string. I then played around with the spacing of each strand until I was happy with it. This was not an exact science project and one can make the frill as dense or sparse as you wish.
Each string is looped around the bottom slat of the blind, then tied to each other to form a row of linked knots. The third knot was the end knot, and the end of the string then unravelled to form a tassel. This window has two blinds, and each one has its own finish so that it can be operated individually. The tassels on each end were cut shorter than the others for point of difference.
Cut the tassels so that is sits on the windowsill - and there you are - repurposed blinds with a basic finish to make it pretty and purposeful.
Check what it looks like from the outside....
And voila! Friends happy with the end result!

• Lisa Ingram

Wonder if this would work on metal blinds?

• Andra Van Der Westhuizen

Lisa, I was sure I replied to your question last night...now I don't see it, probably didn't press 'enter' ....

Recap: On metal blinds I think chiffon ribbon could look nice instead of string. As the ends can't be made into tassels, beads tied at the tips can also be added for some eye candy.

• Linda joy Bruin

What a cool idea. My husband retire from navy has always had a thing for the different knots. For him to say he liked this ideal I have to try. But will it work on regular blinds. And can u paint to change the color of white to a light blue

• Beth

Try using fabric dye, to dye the string before making.you could cut the string into lengths..,,, allow for shrinkage!!!! Just in case .

Make sone testers to see how long to leave the string to get the colour you want.good luck.

• Linda joy Bruin

Thank you but I was asking can u paint the regular blinds. If so what kind of paint do i need

• If you are referring to metal or even plastic mini blinds, the answer is yes. I painted a mini blind back in the early 80's. I wanted it to be peach color and it was not a available in a spray paint back then. I got paint at the hardware store and used my Wagner paint sprayer. To do this you need to have the blinds closed and hanging up (I did mine outside) let the first side dry before doing the other side. Today they have paint for plastic so it would be easier than when I did it.

• Linda Premo

The addition to your blinds is super cute and so unique and original. It personalizes your space and gives it a creative artistic appeal. Thanks for posting😃

• Isabel

My four cats would love this. A new play toy.