How to Make Personalized Bookends - Easy and Budget Friendly

$1

Recently while browsing Pinterest, I’ve noticed so many different types of bookends for some reason so, of course, I thought about making my own. I started with a simple pine board and some small mdf letters.
how to make personalized bookends easy and budget friendly
To get the size of the base, we measured the MDF letters which are 5″ tall and the A is a bit bigger than the Z at 3.5″ wide. I wanted the base to be a bit taller than the letters so we cut the board like this using a chop saw.
I sanded down each piece to get a smooth finish and then glued the pieces together with wood glue. I let them dry and then we used the brad nail gun to attach them permanently. You could also use a hand saw for this.
Now that I had the base, it was time to add the letters. Here’s where that inspiration comes in. This is the scrapbook paper I saw at Michaels and fell in LOVE with. The colors and pattern are just so pretty.
I turned the paper over and traced the letters on the back. First I found a spot on the paper where I would get the most of the flowers on each letter.
I cut out the letters from the scrapbook paper with my scissors being really careful with the center of the A.
I glued the scrapbook paper letters to each mdf letter using simple craft glue. If some of the paper was showing on the edges, I used my Xacto knife to trim it up. Don’t forget to use a cutting mat when doing this.
I chose a shade of lilac out of the paper and mixed up some craft paint to match.
I grabbed a really soft sandpaper and roughed up the edges of the letter just a bit and then used my hot glue to adhere the letters to the base.
And here they are all finished...
For more one this project and other DIY's, visit my blog at
www.mylifeonkayderosscreek.com or on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/lifeonkayderosscreek/

Scrapbook paper
Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek

• Leslie

What are the exact measurements of each piece?

• Deborah Harrell

I would buy the letters, then cut the bases and sides. That way, you would make sure you have enough base space for the letters and the right height. Start with the widest letter at the bottom first and that will give you the base size for both.

Good luck

• Glenna

This isn't a question about your fine project. I LOVE the finished book-ends. Would a couple of bricks work attaching those letters with hot glue, laying the bricks flat, not upright? I don't have tools, etc. for cutting wood. You might not be able to visualize my idea, but that's o.k.

• Tammy Roads

could even cover the bricks with decoupage to match our contrast with the letters.

• Maurice M. McKercher

+Could you glue a piece of sandpaper to the bottom to make it less slippery?

• Hi Maurice, I apologize for not getting to you sooner. Yes, you could probably do that or add a small bead from a hot glue gun to each corner.

• Cindy

I love it! You did a beautiful job! I love to read and have stacks of books which would look so pretty displayed like this. Thank you for sharing with us z

• Aunt Deb

I love your bookends. I've been looking for some for my daughter who has thousands of books. These are perfect. I can split up the alphabet and make numerous ones for her. THANKS for the inspiration!