Pallet Board Dog Feeder

$15
1 Day

If you like to use reclaimed lumber, you'll love this dog feeder made from pallet boards. Your pet will love it too!
pallet board dog feeder
Ask around and check with different businesses or stores to access some free pallets. Then carefully disassemble the pallet and pick out the best boards. Preferably ones that aren't cracked or warped.
pallet board dog feeder
Take measurements of your bowls and also try to work with the existing dimensions of your pallet boards. This way you can minimize the number of cuts. You can check out my full tutorial and see the exact dimensions I used. You'll also want to consider the height of your dogs and perhaps adjust the height of your dog feeder.
pallet board dog feeder
Although not a full-proof method, I like to use a small, hand-held metal detector to locate embedded nails before I cut anything. This is one downside of working with pallet boards. I also recommend looking for the ones stamped with HT which means heat treated. If in doubt, google what is stamped on your pallets to know how they were treated.
pallet board dog feeder
I mainly used the miter saw and made cross cuts. Be careful, because pallet boards can have embedded nails or other metal. If you don't feel safe using the power saws, you could use a hand saw.
pallet board dog feeder
I used wood glue and my nail gun to assemble the dog feeder. Clamps help hold the boards while I nail.
pallet board dog feeder
Measure the dimensions of your bowl and cut out the holes. You want the holes to be just the right size to accept the bowl but not fall through. My bowl had a lip that protruded from the rim. So I cut the hole just the right size so the lip of the bowl would rest on the wood.
pallet board dog feeder
I took a scrap pallet board and sanded it really well. Then I freehanded the outline of a bone and cut it out. I added my dog's name to the bone with a Sharpie marker.
pallet board dog feeder
I lightly sanded surfaces and edges to get rid of the potential for splinters. I didn't sand too aggressively because I wanted to preserve the weathered look of the pallet wood.
pallet board dog feeder
I then applied several coats of lacquer. Probably 4 or 5 coats. Read your container instructions on how to apply and dry times.
pallet board dog feeder
Chevy loves her new dog feeder station!
pallet board dog feeder
The finished dog feeder station.
pallet board dog feeder
Check out the full tutorial (and YouTube Videos) for the dog feeder station at the links below. Be sure to also subscribe to my website. If you subscribe, I will send you the Home Shop Safety & Tool Checklist for free. You can also check out my YouTube channel and find other videos on DIY projects.
Enjoy my video and please consider subscribing to my channel. Thanks!
Stephen Scott Johnson

• Cin31945562

Awww, our dogs name is Chevy 😁 great project, ty for sharing all the deets 😁

• Tanne

Are bowls with rounded sides easier for a dog to clean rather than straight side ones as shown?

• Stephen Scott Johnson

Rounded sides might be more efficient, but dogs are pretty thorough with their tongues. As you know, they love to lick their bowl. In some cases, you might want to make things less efficient so they won't scarf their food down so quickly. Check out this specially designed bowl we started using for my beagle. And it works. It does slow her down quite a bit.