TaKenya Hampton
TaKenya Hampton
  • Wake Forest, NC

Simple Lawn Chair Makeover

$40

We had been given these lawn chairs but they were a bright lime green, which I hated. I am more of a neutral girl so I decided that I would go ahead and fix them to my liking.

All it took was a bit of spray paint, a sunny day, and a few hours to allow drying in between coats.
simple lawn chair makeover
I started out by washing the chairs. Because they had been put up over the winter months, there was dirt, debris and spider webs (eww) on them. So I washed them down using the water hose.
simple lawn chair makeover
After that I let them sit out and dry for about an hour while I did something else. It was an 80-degree day with occasional wind.

Because it was pretty windy and the occasional wind gusts knocked them over while they were drying, I moved into the garage.

I put down paper under them, which is alternative to cardboard to prevent the overspray from getting on the ground.

I have a roll of like brown paper bag type paper that I use for projects like this.
simple lawn chair makeover
I spray painted them using paint cans and the spray can attachment that made it easier to spray and hold for longer periods.

I started with the tops. After letting them dry for an hour or so, I flipped them and sprayed the bottoms.

After that dried, I closed the garage to see it with the contained light and to see spots that needed touching up.

simple lawn chair makeover
After they were complete. I allowed them to dry completely for a full day and sat them out!

I used a total of 9 cans for 6 chairs.

To see more projects and homemaking inspiration check out my blog linked below!
simple lawn chair makeover

TaKenya Hampton

• And31584801

I read the details on this paint. It does not say it is for plastic. please advise.

• Glenda

Does krylon still make a spray paint for plastics called FUSION. That was great stuff!

• Rebecca Brantley

Fusion is not as good as rustoleum!!! I have 2 chairs like this that were red, I painted them with the same brand of paint in the caramel color.. been 2yrs now & still look new! GREAT REDO JOB!

• Gail Bailey Rasnick

Great job. I have been inspired.

• Wendy Zautner

Don't buy anymore plastic chairs, they only last so long before the plastic becomes brittle and starts to break. Then they end up in landfills or the ocean