How To Create Magazine-Style Farmhouse Windows

$30

Do you have skinny window casings on your windows? Do you lack a window sill? Do you dream of those farmhouse window casings that you see in magazines? Your dream is about to come true.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Begin by taking down any window treatments.

Using a utility knife, score or cut around the entire window frame along the wall and inside the window.

These are the window casings that most home have. They are skinny and boring. To create thick window casings is really easy and inexpensive.

Using a crowbar and hammer, remove the old casing. It takes a little muscle but once you have the first piece removed, the rest is easy.

Remove all the casing around the window.

The first step is making a window sill.

A- Score around the jam casing inside the window (the skinny piece of wood that sticks up).

B- Pry that piece of wood up with a flat head screwdriver and hammer.

C-Once the casing is removed,

D-Measure and cut a piece of 1”x3” pine board for the sill. Lay the sill on the edge of the window and mark the side casings at the top of the sill.

E-Using a chisel or flathead screwdriver, remove the little bit of wood at the bottom of the side casing.

F-Once that little bit of wood is removed, slide your window sill in place and nail. Before you nail, close the window to make sure the sill fits snuggly against the window but still allows the window to close.

Once the sides are complete, measure and install a piece of 1”x2” pine flat along the top of the window.

On top of the 1”x2”, attach a piece of 1”x6” vertically, then another piece of 1”x2” flat.

The 1”x2” pine should stick out and not be flush with the other wood.

Now begin to add new trim along each side of the window. You want to measure from the top of the window to the bottom of the sill.

Cut 1”x4” pine to size, level and nail in place.

Now attach a piece of 1”x6” pine along the bottom of the window under the sill.

Here is the new window marked with the size of pine board needed.

Fill nail holes with wood filler.

Paint or stain the new trim. I painted mine semi-gloss white.

Once the paint is dry, chaulk around the entire window to seal it.

The windows casings make a huge difference in the room. I love them!!

American Wood Clear Pine Board 1 X 2 X 4 ' Pine by AMERICAN WOOD...

• DORLIS

Ok, looks easy but I am a 77 year old woman recovering from heart surgery. Could I just put a board on existing wood frame and add a narrow strip for support underneath? I would like a wider board so my cats would like the board at the bottom to be wider so my cats could lie on it.

• Dfm

check out pet supplies on amazon, house no.2 had a platform wrapped in rope that I installed fro my cats to lounge on.it had only 1 support under it, so I put an another on . The gent who bought that house also had pets, and adopted my black lab.

• Tracey

I don't have trim on my windows. They have finished sheet rock corners. Can I just add the boards or do I need to do something else?

• Conni

Just measure and nail. I did this to my windows that had only drywall and no trim at all and it really helped add depth to the room.

• Debra S

Yes you inspire me. My husband NEVER did put up the trim in our entire house.. I put up some around the doors, I was all are you KIDDING me? peekaboo see thru around bathrooms and bedrooms? Anyway... he had bought the typical mitered standard stuff to put up- I honestly hate the look of it. I grew up in houses built in the 30's with HUGE beautiful wood trim everywhere and I long for it. This craftsman style would do for me, because indeed, I think I CAN do it myself. There is NO hope of the husband doing anything at all here anymore. I have to get over my fear of power tools and just do it.

• Ida9464

Debra, sounds like you can do it! Go easy on the ole boy...maybe he doesn’t appreciate the finer details... hope it works out beautiful and reminds you of your childhood.

• Barbars

Much nicer looking

• Franb

For those like myself who do not have the tools or money to spend on replacing this trim, use peel and stick faux wood planks. Make sure you have them glued down very well.