Jenni Ingram
Jenni Ingram
  • Wexford, PA

Upcycled Headboard Bench

$40

Last summer I spotted this headboard at a church sale. It was sitting off to the side with a sticker that said, "make offer.” It had been damaged in a rain storm the night before so the veneer started to bubble and peel. What made it unattractive to others, meant a good deal for me!

Have you seen the headboard benches online? Some people use them as an outdoor bench, others as an entryway piece. I just always wanted to build one. So I grabbed this headboard and footboard set; I knew it would make a fabulous headboard bench.

upcycled headboard bench

The building of a bench like this is pretty basic, with a little patience, wood glue and just a couple of tools it can be a rewarding project, even for a beginner. 

upcycled headboard bench

Building things with a combination of old and new wood always looks a little rough before it's finished. But keep going, grab that can of paint and watch it come to life! 

upcycled headboard bench

I removed the peeling veneer, primed the piece with a stain blocker and then, I painted it in an Antique White Milk Paint. 

To learn more about how to choose the PERFECT paint color for your piece, so you can get the professional look you want, join our upcoming workshop!

upcycled headboard bench

Now it's the perfect creamy white. I had to distress these details to make them pop; it's just such an elegant piece. 

upcycled headboard bench

For comfort this bench needs a simple cushion, it brings in a bit of pattern and softens the piece. 

This month I'm showing my workshop members a step-by-step tutorial video on this project. If you'd like this video or just want a safe place to learn and grow, join my monthly membership group. I offer one-on-one support for your painting projects. We build and paint and decorate together each month, making our houses into homes.

For more details click on the blog link below

👇👇👇👇

http://www.rootsandwingsfurniture.com/blog/headboardbench

Be sure to check out my Facebook page @RootsandWingsFurniture to see all my current projects!

Jenni Ingram

• Tho30031865

very pretty! How did you disguise the uneven surface at the edges of the veneer?

• Marrianne Rudy

FANTASTIC and GORGEOUS!!! Curious how much of the $40 you spent on the bed itself......

• Dianab

great job

the footboard is gorgeous, what are your plans for it ?

• Dianab

can't believe I missed that. I have done a wall hook thing with the back of an ornate chair that was beyond rehab-ing.

• Carey

I have a piece that has veneer that has begun to come up but otherwise it is in excellent condition. It is just a small area in a seam that is coming up. Is it possible to regale it so that I can leave the veneer on the piece. I am hoping to retain the original finish as much as possible.

• Jenni Ingram

Yes, get a q-tip or small brush with wood glue and get it in there, add a weight to hold it down. It should work for you!!

• Mousie Girl

Wow! I love that you took what you had and made a beautiful , useable piece. So nice.