Creating a Simple Desk That Costs Nothing to Make

53K Views
I made my nephew a desk for the study area in his bedroom and I didn’t want to spend a lot of money. As it turned out, I didn’t spend any money - just used what I had.
Time: 2 DaysCost: $0Difficulty: Easy
  • simple desk for free
So this is the study area aka a closet that didn’t have doors.

• simple desk for free
I began by removing everything from the closet including the shelving and hanging bar.
  • simple desk for free
I am in the process of renovating his room so the walls are no longer purple in these pictures.
A-I removed the track from above the door,
B-filled and sanded any holes and
C-removed years of built up paint using a utility knife.
  • simple desk for free
I painted the inside of the closet a darker turquoise than was on the walls. The color inside is ”Nautical” from Valspar. I also painted the trim and ceiling white.
  • simple desk for free
To make the desk:
A-I removed organizational shelving from the closet in another bedroom that wasn’t being used
B-I measured
C-Drew a line
D-And the cut the shelving to 27”
This shelving would be the legs of the desk.
  • simple desk for free
To make the top of the desk:
A-I was originally going to just put a piece of plywood on top but it was too skinny so
B-I decided to attach scrap pine to the top. I measured and found the middle of the plywood, drew a line and attached the first row of pine to the top using wood glue and brads.
C-I continued to add wood, making sure that it was staggered
D-Once the top of covered, I flipped it on the back
E-and cut any wood that hung off the end.
  • simple desk for free
Once the boards were cut evenly, I trimmed the entire top with 1”x2” pine boards mintering the corners.
  • simple desk for free
I countersunk and filled the nail holes with wood filler.
I hand sanded the top smooth the I applied stain to the entire piece. I actually applied 3 coats of stain until I achieve the color I was looking for. After the stain was dry, I added 2 coats of polyurethane. The stain color is Ipswich Pine from Minwax.
  • simple desk for free
I placed the table top onto the shelving and found that it was very wobbly so I decided to add braces to the shelving.
A-I measured and cut scrap pine
B-and screwed two pieces to the back of each shelving unit, then screwed them into the wall for more stability
C-I screwed the top onto the shelving unity
D-and ta-da! Complete!
  • simple desk for free
I added a personalized cork board, a desk lamp and a chair to complete the new study area. My nephew now has a place to do his school work other than his bed.
If you’d like to see the entire makeover of his entire room, click here (Coming soon)

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of May 23, 2018 10:21 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.