DIY Nearby
DIY Nearby
  • Hometalk Team
  • Houston, TX

DIY Nearby Episode 1: Transforming a Dreary Carpeted Staircase

$405

When homeowner Michelle wanted to redo her staircase on a budget, she knew she could find the help she needed on Hometalk.

Check out the first-ever episode of DIY Nearby to see how Michelle, with the help of DIYer Alicia, completely redid her dreary staircase and hallway for under $500!
Michelle felt like she could do it herself if she just had a little bit of guidance, so she got in touch with her sister, Hometalk DIYer Alicia W., and hired her to come to her home, walk her through what needed to be done and tackle the project together with her.

What's holding you back from redoing your staircase? Share your DIY challenges with us in the comments!

• Debra Joseph

Did you really have to "hire" your own sister or did she help you for free? I've never even considered charging my sister for all the interior design and decorating I've done for her over the years.

• Joe Jones

I would love to have a family like that. My sister wouldn’t help me if she could. If I offered to pay. They are the type that won’t even loan a tool if it’s needed. But if and when her vehicle breaks down I’m who she calls. We live 4 miles from one another.

• Susan

I have the same question as Alma Arches. What is the transition from the floating floor to the first step? Also a general question for people with wood stairs. Don’t you find them too slippery?

• Leslie

We painted our steps into the basement (different shades for horizontal & vertical surfaces which dressed them up as well as making them easier to see) and used texture in the paint to give it ‘tooth.’

• Veronica

I tore out the stairs carpeting to discover partleboard not wood any suggestion other than recarpeting?

• Cha33342298

Yes I will definitely give this a try. I understand they have paint that is nonslip.

• Joanne Lewis

WOW, I think I could tackle something like this myself. Thanks, ladies!