DIY Nearby
DIY Nearby
  • Hometalk Team
  • Houston, TX

DIY Nearby Episode 1: Transforming a Dreary Carpeted Staircase

$405

When homeowner Michelle wanted to redo her staircase on a budget, she knew she could find the help she needed on Hometalk.

Check out the first-ever episode of DIY Nearby to see how Michelle, with the help of DIYer Alicia, completely redid her dreary staircase and hallway for under $500!
Michelle felt like she could do it herself if she just had a little bit of guidance, so she got in touch with her sister, Hometalk DIYer Alicia W., and hired her to come to her home, walk her through what needed to be done and tackle the project together with her.

What's holding you back from redoing your staircase? Share your DIY challenges with us in the comments!

• Ber7219677

How do you treat the stairs after 1 year of use?

Does it help to do 2 coats of polyurethane?

There are pads like your edging pads for painting the entire wall instead of a roller. What do you think of them? I have seen the commercial in-store videos, but am a bit wary of them, and I don't want to spend money on experimenting with them without hearing from others.

• Lin24088394

I have an open staircase in cottage with slanted board on back of opening of steps The dirt etc can slide down but would like to close in each step so dirt stays on step easier to clean Any ideas or do I have to close in each step from behind

• Leah Lintz

Great video! Question for you as well. Now that you've gone to wood on the stairs do you find the kids sound a lot noisier? We have wooden stairs and the noise doesn't bother me but drives my husband insane! I figure it's the heavy footed teens in the house and at least we know where they are. :)

• Gma27668569

I have been looking to do this on my stairs. How did you do the transition from the top stair into the hallway?

• DIY Nearby

Good question! Here's a screenshot from the episode to show how Alicia and Michelle did it. The top stair is shorter and stained to match the rest of the staircase and the flooring begins immediately after that. Hope that helps!

• Amy Cunningham-Niehaus

You have inspired me. I am going to do my staircase and landing. I’m afraid to see what is under the carpet. Bit I’m going to go for it. What sheen of paint did you use for the stair kicker? And is it the same color as the walls?

• DIY Nearby

Great question! The staircase molding and risers were painted with semigloss Valspar paint and are the same color as the walls in the hall, but not the staircase walls.

• Sharryl

How to take carpet off the stairs

• Marva Gardner

But what if that isn't real wood under the carpet when you pull it off the stairs, like mine? 😢 Do I buy prefab wood stairs in the color I want or buy the wood, have it cut appropriately and stain before installing? PLEASE COME TO MY HOUSE? I'll feed you, well! 🤗

• Adalynn Marie Vargas

My guess would be to buy and stain the wood and install it.. But that maybe more costly then just buying wood veneer in the color you would like.

• Shirley4

Could you paint it??

• Jenny Wright Montford

I bought new treads for mine, cut to length and installed with wood glue and nails. You just have to keep code in mind for steps. Make sure the bottom step isn't too tall and the top step isn't too short. They all have to be the same height. I also suggest conditioning the wood, you can literally just spray with a water bottle and let it soak in, before you stain. Especially since wood dries out and will absorb splotchy if too dried out.

• Marva Gardner

Thanks All, I might be ready... but it is TRULY BY MYSELF!

• Marva Gardner

I think I need the kick players, too, might be easier to pay a professional

• Marva Gardner

Kick plates, too

• Eroque022810

Buy new treads because they would have the bull nose finish so you don't have to worry about have to deal with that plus you order them the with the finish you want so all you do I'd cut them to size. If you make sure to cutvth side that faces the wall you won't have to true to find the correct stain color to finish it off so although expensive and you do need to have the electrical saw you can do it. At this point that's what is holding me back that if my steps are a mess I at this time can't afford the treads cause at almost 30 dollars a tread and I need 23 plus I don't have a saw plus I still need to hire a handy man to do any molding to hide any cracks.

• Jenny Wright Montford

So, why didn't they condition the wood before they stained it?

I'm already addicted! I need more DIY Nearby!

• Shar

Doesn't this make the stairs dangerous if someone used the stairs in socks?

• Christine Smith

No, because they used polyeurethene and not varnish. However, if you are still worried, you can buy grip strips that stick on the edge of the stair treads x

• Shar

Thanks Christine, I fear painted or varnshed stairs, I was a teenager when I fell down a flight of stairs because they were painted and I just had socks on my feet.

• Kdj32585051

Can you film it without the jumpy photography? It gives me a headache and is hard to watch.

• Cindy Timms

I absolutely love it and it looks beautiful ! When you were priming, was the little square thing you used called a skimmer? Or what was it called ? Great job ladies !

• Vicki

How can I see the stair case video?

• Van

Just scroll above this section where it says "DIY NEARBY" and click on that space.

• Vicki

How can I see the stair case video?

• Donna Denson

How do I see video

• Jacqui Stewart-Procter

Lovely job ladies. I would just like to know what is the square thing called that you used to paint the edges so you got straight lines on the wall to ceiling? Please as I always struggle to cut in properly and end up having to “touch up” where I have gone on to a different area by mistake. Keep up the good work ladies can’t wait for episode two

• Tikva Morrow

It's called a paint trimmer or a paint edger. You can find them on Amazon. :)

• Jeanne Martin

They had great luck with theirs. Me not so much. I had to literally wash it clean after each swipe. I've painted my homes for 40+ years and I promise I'm not an idiot. I tried every which way but up and finally just gave up. I did much better with a steady hand and an angle brush.

• Barb in Texas

Any place that sells paint has an edger. Like stenciling, the clue is to not have too much paint on it, and never get it on the 'side', you want it all on the flat surface that hits the wall, the 'side' is the part in contact with the ceiling.

• Mona Goldenberg

How do I see this video

• Margaret Rawlins

It won't play? Is love to watch it. And ID LOVE TO BE ON THE SHOW🙏😊 Thank you❤

• Rachele Julian

I wonder what’s under my stairs?? What if it’s particle board? I believe my townhouse was built in 2006 or something like that.

• Alma Arches

Do you have pictures on the very top of the stairs? After you laid the floating floor how far did it stop? Did you have to put the transition also?

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

Great transformation! What kind of wood did you find under the carpeting for the stairs? Is the flooring laminate or engineered wood?

• Debra Joseph

Did you really have to "hire" your own sister or did she help you for free? I've never even considered charging my sister for all the interior design and decorating I've done for her over the years.

• Joe Jones

I would love to have a family like that. My sister wouldn’t help me if she could. If I offered to pay. They are the type that won’t even loan a tool if it’s needed. But if and when her vehicle breaks down I’m who she calls. We live 4 miles from one another.

• Susan

I have the same question as Alma Arches. What is the transition from the floating floor to the first step? Also a general question for people with wood stairs. Don’t you find them too slippery?

• Cherry Sulivan

We actually don't find the wooden steps slippery. They have the same finish as the rest of the wood floors. Hubby and I use very supportive house slippers that do have treads on the bottom. Son runs around barefoot.

• Nevada Cindy

Only when you spray them with furniture polish! That’s when they become comical but dangerous!

• Melodi Whitaker

We actually had a few falls down the stairs BEFORE we took the carpet off the stairs. My husband fell once, I fell twice while wearing socks. Now the stairs are very stable...3 years and no falls😊BUT, as someone else said, do not use furniture polish on them, lol!!

• Paw22623768

Lol yes don’t use furniture polish on wood floors-learned that the hard way! I love my wood stairs! So easy to clean and no traffic pattern of wear and dirt anymore. My wood is “hand scraped” so it’s not perfectly smooth. I haven’t had problems with it being slippery.

• Mary Coakley

Use a flat stain.is good

• Leslie

We painted our steps into the basement (different shades for horizontal & vertical surfaces which dressed them up as well as making them easier to see) and used texture in the paint to give it ‘tooth.’

• Veronica

I tore out the stairs carpeting to discover partleboard not wood any suggestion other than recarpeting?

• Cha33342298

Yes I will definitely give this a try. I understand they have paint that is nonslip.

• Joanne Lewis

WOW, I think I could tackle something like this myself. Thanks, ladies!