What would cause brick on a house to degrade?

+9
The brick wall is on east side of house, overhang above.. it is the brick along the bottom next to the dirt of our 1970's home.. It leaves a fine brick dust on the dirt . And is there a remedy?
q what would cause brick on a house to degrade
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 17, 2018
    Sounds as though Builders didn't use Engineering Bricks but used a soft brick.instead.. Damage caused by elements........ Do you have Buildings Insurance? Call in a couple of Builders and ask for a written price to put it right.
  • Sandy Sandy on Apr 17, 2018
    Call a brick yard if one local and ask them?
  • Joan LeVasseur Joan LeVasseur on Apr 17, 2018
    This kind of spaling is usually due to moisture getting in behind the brick.
  • Lisa Gage Lisa Gage on Apr 18, 2018
    For sure termites are there. Call an exterminator for inspection of the foundation.
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Apr 18, 2018
    After you figure out what the issue is, and repair it, there is a liquid sealer you can spray on top of the brick to seal it.
    • SLK SLK on Apr 18, 2018
      thank you-I've read since, you have to make sure the sealer you use on brick is certain type that doesn't seal in the moisture that is probably the reason- or it will get worse.. Im going to seek out a mason to inspect and recommend what to do about the " stalling" .
  • This is definitely due to moisture.
  • GBK GBK on Apr 18, 2018
    My brick started to decay, also, when there was a change in moisture in the other direction. When I got a good sump pump in the basement and the environment got a little drier, it just turned to powder like red dust. I'm thinking of spraying "flex-seal" all over it. Rust-o-leum makes it. How could it hurt, lol?