Wooden Stool Makeover

$2

I got this stool yesterday at a thrift store for $2. I didn't care for the heart but saw the legs were good and sturdy.
So I bought it, knowing I could and would re- do it to suit my tastes better. I mean...$2... I had to!
Originally the stool had pink legs, but I didn't take a picture. Like I said, it's a pretty sturdy little stool.
The first thing I did was hammer the top off of the legs. It came off fairly easy. I wasn't worried about banging it up, as I knew I was going for a distressed look. The pink is the color the legs were before.

I found 3 same size small boards in my stash and glued them together, with wood glue. This will be used to display small objects and books, so glue was fine for me. I would not recommend gluing for a stepping stool!
While the glue dried, I gave the legs 2 coats of Apple Barrel Burnt Umber acrylic paint. When the glue was dry, I did the same to the boards.
Once the acrylic paint was completely dry, I took a large brush and dry brushed Deco Art white chalk paint on all areas of the top and the leg section. Once the paint dried, I glued the legs on. Again, I'm only using wood glue because it's function is decor, not stability. To finish, I gave it a light sanding and a thin coat of clear wax.
Yea... I'll buy almost anything for $2!!
I'm almost always guaranteed a project I'll like!

• Stool  (Thrift store)
  • Glue, paint  (Had on hand)