How do I get rid of pantry moths

+6
little gray moth , they seem to like paper and like dark places

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 18, 2018
    wash all the surfaces with white vinegar.disguard any open food.keep food stored in containers, place moth traps from safer where ever they are
  • Alice Alice on Apr 18, 2018
    How about this...
  • Get ready for some work! I had them in 2015, arrived in a bag of infested dog kibble. You need to systematically empty and clean every single cabinet in your kitchen and pantry. And I mean everything. I even found them in my stored dishes that are in the zipped dish savers. And I always used fresh bay leaves and lavender. 409 worked well till Aunt Norma's spray arrived.

Even though my kitchen is very small compared to most, it took me 3 weeks of cleaning and tossing, and I lost several hundred dollars worth of food.

I am not normally a chemical girl, but this stuff was magic!

Now everything that comes into the house gets quarrentined and shoved in the freezer before being added to the regular stock.

• Sandykosinski Sandykosinski on Apr 18, 2018
    Sounds like Indian moths. They love any grains. They lay eggs so fine you get not see. You have to get rid of any grains..flour crackers chips..etc. Contain. New items in plastic containers. And call pest control. It will take months to get rid of.
    And yes they love pet food. Wash bowls after every feeding.
  • Genalady Genalady on Apr 18, 2018
    This is basic information to begin with:
    After a complete cleaning there are what is called "Pantry Moth Glue Traps" These worked for me, I just make sure to check them from time to time and replace. There are a number of brands on Amazon. They all work in the same way. This has worked for me in South Texas.
  • P P on Apr 18, 2018
    pantry or flour moth traps are available on-line - but if you are already infested (they have sharp probicisis/snouts & can drill even into foil packaged things like instant soup) you MUST put every item into a glass or HARD plastic container, separately so if one thing has them the others don't get infested. Take contents out of boxes & label containers with a sharpie - cut out ONLY the instructions & keep them with contents in the container & throw the rest of the original cardboard box away - outside - now - it may contain eggs or larvae ready to hatch! BTW anything flour based or pasta-like can also get weevils - put bay leaves into those containers to keep weevils out.
  • Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Sep 17, 2020

Oh dear, so sorry to hear that. We had an infestation of them last year. So frustrating and had to throw everything that wasn’t canned or in a sealed container out and completely clean and wipe every surface. We also bought sticky moth traps. Apparently, they have some kind of pheromone inside that attracts the moths and then they get stuck. We’ve also hung bay leaves in our pantry (my Mom’s advice) and that seems to work. They haven’t been back this year.