Maggie May's Gifts
Maggie May's Gifts
  • Hilliard, OH

Make Your Own Mod Podge (MUCH Cheaper) For Decor and Craft Projects

$1.00
1 Minute

Mod Podge (glue & sealant) is not cheap. Here is a super simple recipe that costs about $1.00 for a whole jar!
Just put 2 parts cheap white glue and 1 part water in a jar and shake. Use as you would your Mod Podge. Only difference is it creates a matte finish, which is actually really nice!
More details at http://maggiemaysgifts.wordpress.com/2014/05/04/make-your-own-mod-podge/
make your own mod podge much cheaper for decor and craft projects, crafts, decoupage
Easy, DIY Mod Podge for a fraction of the cost!
Just put 2 parts white glue and 1 part water into a clean jar....
..and shake.
Use as you would your regular Mod Podge.
Makes a beautiful matte finish.
more details at http://maggiemaysgifts.com

To see more: http://maggiemaysgifts.wordpress.com/2014/05/04/make-your-own-mod-podge/

• Ally

Could you use clear glue instead of white?? Thanks so much by the way, there isn't any Mod Podge in my country!

• Flossie

Hi, white glue dries clear. No need to source a more expensive clear glue.Good luck with your creations!

• Nancy Flemming

Modge podge is a glue, sealer and finish in one so you won't get quite the same lasting power with home made. Also use regular white glue and not the washable school glue.

• Beth Chaney

Modge podge, if your version is used does it wear as well the brand name? Some of their stuff can actually be used outdoors. Thanks

• Maggie May's Gifts

I wasn't sure if it would but everything I've done with it has held up great. If you're doing an outdoor project or something really special (like on an heirloom piece) you may want to use a name brand specific to that type of project to be safe. But otherwise I haven't noticed any difference (other than it has a matte finish). Hope that helps!

• Nancy Nelson

You could spray it with a clear sealer which comes in gloss and matte finish for using outdoors.

• Lyn Ysit

can you also use this one as top coat on glittered surface?

• Maggie May's Gifts

Hi Lyn! Yes I use it as a bottom coat like glue and also a top coat. I do use it on top of glitter to seal the glitter down. It dries clear. Hope that helps.

• Branxste

Does this last well if made in a big batch? Like would it get lumpy and gross if not used within a specific amount of time?

• Maggie May's Gifts

I'm so so sorry for the delay in answering this. I just saw your question! I made a jar of it a couple years ago and am still using it. So from my personal experience, it didn't get lumpy. Just need to shake it well every time. Thanks!

• Cecillia mitchell

can i dip a little denim short in it to make it hard to be a juwelery box for a little girl?

• Maggie May's Gifts

Hi Cecilia! I'm not sure about that. If you have enough material to play around with...I say try it and see. Let us know how it went! Thanks

• Maya

I want to make a diy phone case for that I need to paint the mod podge over the picture will the mod podge show or will it dry clear

• Maggie May's Gifts

Hi Maya.. Mod Podge dries clear. It will look whitish after you put it on (while it is still wet) but it will dry clear. Good Luck!

• Sandy

Hi. I dont want to sound stupid like I must be only one on the planet not to know, when said 2"parts"/ 1"part" , how much is a "part"? Like a quick squeeze of glue to ? in water? .

• Maggie May's Gifts

Hi Sandy! That's not dumb at all. I only say parts so I don't limit anyone with the amount they make by putting actual measurements. So for a jar of it, you could do 1 cup of glue and then use 1/2 cup of water. Or 2 cups glue and 1 cup of water. So you're always using twice as much glue as you are water. I hope that makes sense. Thanks!

• Sandy

Thank you kindly :)

• Sak14247741

What is sealant?? Do we need to use sealant as well after this mixture?

• Leigh Ann Azlin

You can use this on top of your project for a sealant. :)

• Jeanine stewart

how can u get a glossy finish can u put any kind of glossy varnish in it or just paint a varnish over it after it dries

• Maggie May's Gifts

I've read that you can add 1 Tablespoon of varnish to your mixture for the shiny look. I haven't tried it yet but that should do it. Or of course, you can paint a coat of varnish over your finished product but adding it to the mixture seems easier :)

• Vyedrana

Can I make this with the clear version of Elmer's glue or does it have to be the white kind?

• Maggie May's Gifts

I havent I've tried it with the clear but you could always make a really small batch and try it!

• Kelly

Did Vyedrana try the clear ? I have a couple of projects in mind for Christmas gifts......Old photos that will be copied at Wal-Greens. Want as clear an application as possible of an already fuzzy picture. What would you suggest...? Thanks so much!! Mimi

• Gd123out

I have never heard of mod podge, can this be used to hold jig-saw puzzles together? Can I brush it over the picture itself without damaging the picture?
    • Maggie May's Gifts

It is essentially a glue so yes. I've never done that with a puzzle but it sounds perfect for that. Brush a coat (or two) over the puzzle and it will dry clear. You could also paint a coat over the back of the puzzle to really ensure it is all glued together. Hope that helps!
    • Michelle Lickfold

im pretty sure it mentions using it on puzzles in the jar.

• Nancy

Isn't this the same as just diluting a bottle of Modge Podge??
  • Robin Norris

Can I use to transfer photos onto fabric?
  • Teresa

What is OVA glud?

• Teresa

Sorry! What is OVA glue?

• Vickie

Is this waterproof glue or kids school glue washable glue?

• SADHANA

SHALL I UPLOAD MY CREATION ON YOUR PAGE

• Gale

thank you
  • Jccedmed

I did try this. I think I would 1/2 the water. So 1 part white glue to 1/4 water. It is pretty thing with the 1/2 water proportions and takes a long time to dry. It worked, but took forever to dry and I know the consistency is more watery than actual Mod Podge Brand. If I can find this after I make the 1/4 measurements, I will let you know how it turns out. Anything to not have to pay the high prices. And BTW, I only use Matte Mod Podge as I've found it works just fine on all surfaces. The Outdoor is better for things exposed to weather, but that's the only one I use for a specific purpose, otherwise Matte works perfectly. Use a finish to get a desired sheen if need be. Even Future Floor Polish works great on various projects. Imagine that!

• Jccedmed

I forgot. I also tried another recipe where you heated white glue in the microwave til warm and boiled water. I added the water to the glue bottle to clean it out and stirred to blend. Let it get to room temperature. I think that is a bit better, but still too thin as it's 2 parts glue to 1 part water as well. So, I think I did a boo boo on my last comment. I would use 1 bottle of glue to 1/4 bottle of water using the same bottle to clean it out. And again, I will let you know how this works when I'm done experimenting. Thank you, for the idea and the recipe and it's most fun trying things out and making changes for personal preferences.