Shelly L Nemeth
Shelly L Nemeth
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Gilbert, AZ

Cake Stand, Pedestal Stand

$1

I love using things I have around the house to make farmhouse shabby chic industrial items. So lets make a multi-use cake stand. I grabbed a pizza pan at the dollar store and a old leg I found on a couch someone was throwing out. I always grab this kind of stuff when I see it. I love to recycle free items! Trash to treasures.
cake stand pedestal stand
What you'll need is sandpaper, wood leg (you could also use a candle stick also) Glue, Paint, pencil, and a Pizza pan could use one from dollar store, an old one from a thrift store, or one laying around the house  
cake stand pedestal stand
After you have all the items you'll need to get started you'll need to find the center point. I took a piece of paper and made a straight vertical template to trace with my pencil. 
cake stand pedestal stand
Then laid it horizontal and made another line. Where the lines crossed in the middle is the center point. I then took my sand paper and roughed up the pan in the area where I am going to glue the leg on. 
cake stand pedestal stand
I used E 6000 to glue the wood leg to the metal pizza pan bottom center point.
cake stand pedestal stand
I then let it sit upside down for 24 hours. This ensured that the glue was fully dry so it doesn't slip off.
cake stand pedestal stand
I then taped off the leg because I decided I liked the metal pan look and didn't want to paint the whole tray. However, depending on your house you could if you wanted to.
cake stand pedestal stand
After I painted the leg and let it fully dry, I then used my sand paper and distressed it. This gave it a rustic shabby chic look which works in my house. You could leave it un-sanded depending on your home.
cake stand pedestal stand
Here you'll see how I distressed it I liked it so I left it like this without painting the tray.
cake stand pedestal stand
Its done its a fast and easy project. I put a plant and a decorative ball with this cute love arrow I picked up at a local craft fair. I set it on my sideboard but the places and uses are endless from a soap holder to a party cupcake holder and more.
cake stand pedestal stand
The metal and distressed shabby chic white pops on my console table. I love how it turned out. Who would of thought a pizza tray could look so good!   

• N. G. Londonderry

With only the thin middle support isn’t the tray unstable for anything except very lightweight items placed in the center of the tray?

• Weeha

Have you considered tileing the pan ?

• Mary

Cake stand? Where's the cake? I was thinking I'd see what you did make but with a dome cover of some sort, that would make a Cake Stand LOL