Handy Rustic Indoor Herb Garden Made From Old Jeans

38K Views
I love to cook with fresh herbs, especially in curries and salads. However, I'm not very good at growing them. So I tend to cheat by buying the pots of growing herbs in the supermarket.

I have designed a clever and stylish way to store these herbs in my kitchen for easy access and to keep them fresher longer. It was all made from upcycled materials of an old pair of jeans, soda bottle and a bit of pallet wood.

Time: 1 HoursCost: $5Difficulty: Easy
  • handy rustic indoor herb garden made from old jeans
These aren't the only denim planters I have made. I also made some very popular farmhouse tin cans ones which you can see here.

You can, of course, use the same herb planter to grow your own herbs in too, if that's what you prefer!
The first thing I did was cut the bottom off a large soda bottle.
I then cut the bottom part of a leg of jeans about 2-3 cm longer than the soda bottle.
I turned the cut jeans leg inside out and stitched up the bottom cutting off the corners.
I also cut the belt loops of the jeans. One of these was stitched to the top of the jeans leg pouch.
I then turned the denim pouch right side out.
Next, I placed the cut soda bottle in the denim pouch.
I made labels for the denim herb holders by simply stamping the names of herbs onto an old piece of fabric. I used letter stamps you can buy here.

You might have noticed I'm from the UK and we call cilantro, coriander over here.
I simply stuck the labels to the front of the pouches, using a fabric glue.
I used an old piece of pallet wood and some lovely hooks my sister had given me to make a holder for the pouches.
The potted herbs were simply placed inside the soda bottles in the pouches.

This double potting enables me to water them easily without getting drips everywhere but the excess water has somewhere to go. So the herbs last longer.
I love having fresh herbs growing in my kitchen I think they look great.
You can hang them outside as well on a porch if you prefer and perhaps fill them with flowers.

There are more details on the blog.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of May 20, 2018 10:15 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Claire at Pillarboxblue

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!