Handy Rustic Indoor Herb Garden Made From Old Jeans

$5

I love to cook with fresh herbs, especially in curries and salads. However, I'm not very good at growing them. So I tend to cheat by buying the pots of growing herbs in the supermarket.

I have designed a clever and stylish way to store these herbs in my kitchen for easy access and to keep them fresher longer. It was all made from upcycled materials of an old pair of jeans, soda bottle and a bit of pallet wood.

handy rustic indoor herb garden made from old jeans
These aren't the only denim planters I have made. I also made some very popular farmhouse tin cans ones which you can see here.

You can, of course, use the same herb planter to grow your own herbs in too, if that's what you prefer!
The first thing I did was cut the bottom off a large soda bottle.
I then cut the bottom part of a leg of jeans about 2-3 cm longer than the soda bottle.
I turned the cut jeans leg inside out and stitched up the bottom cutting off the corners.
I also cut the belt loops of the jeans. One of these was stitched to the top of the jeans leg pouch.
I then turned the denim pouch right side out.
Next, I placed the cut soda bottle in the denim pouch.
I made labels for the denim herb holders by simply stamping the names of herbs onto an old piece of fabric. I used letter stamps you can buy here.

You might have noticed I'm from the UK and we call cilantro, coriander over here.
I simply stuck the labels to the front of the pouches, using a fabric glue.
I used an old piece of pallet wood and some lovely hooks my sister had given me to make a holder for the pouches.
The potted herbs were simply placed inside the soda bottles in the pouches.

This double potting enables me to water them easily without getting drips everywhere but the excess water has somewhere to go. So the herbs last longer.
I love having fresh herbs growing in my kitchen I think they look great.
You can hang them outside as well on a porch if you prefer and perhaps fill them with flowers.

There are more details on the blog.
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Debby Davidson

I love these. I keep seeing these small planter ideas for outside too. My question is in the summer how do you keep stuff alive without watering 4 times a day be for they dry out? Any advise would be appreciated.

• With these planters, because you have the soda bottles to catch the excess water, which can be used by the plant later, they will need less watering.

• DORLIS

What about the durability of the jeans pockets, water can rot them. even though you have plastic inside, water does tend to run over.

• Darlene Crutchfield

How do you keep the cloth from getting mold on it

• Aml6269035

I like this idea only to me it is too much work. One could make a jean pocket holder similar to a she holder only take the bottom out of all the top pockets above the last row of pockets with bottoms still sewn to hold all the bottles stacked up side down into the other rows of bottles below to catch water from each bottle above it until the water gets to the very bottom row. Plants can grow around the sides of the bottom of each bottle while water stays confined and jeans pockets stay dry when watering unless overwatered in error.

• Trudi Davis

Great idea!!!