Paper Towel Tube Rose DIY

$4

I came across a beautiful rose made out of empty toilet paper rolls on Pinterest. I fell in love with the design shape and thought it quite different from the usual toilet roll crafts. I decided to re-create the rose using paper towel tubes instead because some think using toilet rolls in crafts might be unsanitary - although you can buy something called paper craft tubes that look just like the real thing at craft stores. But it's a lot more fun to recycle what you already have at home to make this craft!
Let's begin my cleaning off any paper residue on the empty tubes with a damp cloth and let dry.

Next draw a flower pattern with six petals and curvy edges on cardstock and cut out.
Then cut the tubes open and outline the flower pattern five times on the flatten cardboard paper . . .
and cut out.
To form the rose, cut out one petal from the six petal flower and use it to
roll into a closed cone shape for the center of the rose.
Next cut out two petals from a six petal flower to use as the first layer of the rose.
Then cut the flower in half to shape the second layer.
The third layer is the four petal cut out.
And the fourth layer is the five petal cut out.
The 5th layer is the full six petal flower. Cut 1/2" slits toward the center on each petal to make them easier to curl, using a skewer stick.
Curl the edges and paint the pieces before assembling the rose.
To assemble - each layer is glue together and inserted into the next layer. Here's how: Glue the first layer together at the side edges, adding additional glue to the middle and insert the center piece.
Next, the second layer was glued together at the edges and the first layer inserted and glued down into the middle of layer two. Layer three was glued together at edges and layer two inserted and glued down into the middle of layer 3. Continue gluing together remaining layers, four and five and inserting previously glued layer in the middle until all layers are glued together for a completed beautiful rose.
I attached the finished rose to the top of a cardboard container that I painted gold leaf, too.
I'm really loving this paper towel tube rose look! And the gold leaf makes it all look like a beautiful metal container, just perfect in any décor!

Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Jacqui

Looks great & I like th idea BUT yr finished rose in th "ta da" pic looks like it has more than th 6 layers. Did u add them after u completed th 6 layers? Thanks. I hav saved a lot of yr ideas (i.e., yr Easter ideas)

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me

Thanks, Jacqui! You are very observant! I had to look on the original post to see what was up. There is another full rose layer on the top of the container which is not shown here but is included in the original post on my blog. I should have mentioned that, though. It does make the flower fuller. Hometalk limits the number of photos and I was my limit.

• Daisy@TX

Absolutely gorgeous!

• Janice
    29 minutes ago

I love all PT and TP projects and save so many of the projects you share. Gorgeous and intriguing upcycle. You are very talented and always thinking outside the box! A fan! :) Absolutely saving this project in my to do file!