Circa 1880

$160
6 Weeks

I found this 1880 Eastlake Chest at a thrift store and couldn’t wait to transform her 😀
Here is the before photo.
Here is the before photo.
I had to decide wether to sand and re-stain the piece, or paint it. Generally if it can be stained, that is what I try to do.
Damage
Damage
Unfortunatel, the chest had deep gouge marks underneath the drawers and 3 extra drawer pull holes per pull. In order to repair, I used bondo, too me it is just stronger than wood filler, and it sands very nice. The piece had to be painted.
Filling the damage with bondo.
Filling the damage with bondo.
Sanded with orbital sander.
Sanded to a smoothness.
Sanded to a smoothness.
Gouges repaired
Gouges repaired
Repairing drawers the same way.
Repairing drawers the same way.
Sanding complete on entire piece.
Sanding complete on entire piece.
I then decided to research paint colors of the time era. I made my own color by mixing chalk paint I had on hand. I also ordered replica antique hardware. Once it arrived, I measured and drilled new pull holes.
After.
After.
The top was sanded and stained the top. Several coats of protective poly finish were applied.
Painted interior of drawers ivory.
Painted interior of drawers ivory.
Beautiful pin and cove dovetail.
Beautiful pin and cove dovetail.
Drawers were sanded and stained.