Circa 1880

42K Views
I found this 1880 Eastlake Chest at a thrift store and couldn’t wait to transform her 😀
Time: 6 WeeksCost: $160Difficulty: Medium
I had to decide wether to sand and re-stain the piece, or paint it. Generally if it can be stained, that is what I try to do.
Unfortunatel, the chest had deep gouge marks underneath the drawers and 3 extra drawer pull holes per pull. In order to repair, I used bondo, too me it is just stronger than wood filler, and it sands very nice. The piece had to be painted.
Sanded with orbital sander.
I then decided to research paint colors of the time era. I made my own color by mixing chalk paint I had on hand. I also ordered replica antique hardware. Once it arrived, I measured and drilled new pull holes.
The top was sanded and stained the top. Several coats of protective poly finish were applied.
Drawers were sanded and stained.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of May 20, 2018 11:07 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.