Circa 1880

$160
6 Weeks

I found this 1880 Eastlake Chest at a thrift store and couldn’t wait to transform her 😀
circa 1880, Here is the before photo
Here is the before photo.
I had to decide wether to sand and re-stain the piece, or paint it. Generally if it can be stained, that is what I try to do.
circa 1880, Damage
Damage
Unfortunatel, the chest had deep gouge marks underneath the drawers and 3 extra drawer pull holes per pull. In order to repair, I used bondo, too me it is just stronger than wood filler, and it sands very nice. The piece had to be painted.
circa 1880, Filling the damage with bondo
Filling the damage with bondo.
Sanded with orbital sander.
circa 1880, Sanded to a smoothness
Sanded to a smoothness.
circa 1880, Gouges repaired
Gouges repaired
circa 1880, Repairing drawers the same way
Repairing drawers the same way.
circa 1880, Sanding complete on entire piece
Sanding complete on entire piece.
I then decided to research paint colors of the time era. I made my own color by mixing chalk paint I had on hand. I also ordered replica antique hardware. Once it arrived, I measured and drilled new pull holes.
circa 1880, After
After.
The top was sanded and stained the top. Several coats of protective poly finish were applied.
circa 1880, Painted interior of drawers ivory
Painted interior of drawers ivory.
circa 1880, Beautiful pin and cove dovetail
Beautiful pin and cove dovetail.
Drawers were sanded and stained.