Tea Time For The Birds

62K Views
I run across these vintage glass snack sets at the thrift stores. All. The. Time.
The day I picked this one up, I had at least 40 to choose from. It was a regular glass-a-palooza.
They were made by Hazel Atlas, Federal Glass, Anchor Hocking and probably every other glass type company back in the day. Every self respecting mid-century hostess had her glass snack set and a glass punch bowl in her party planning arsenal.
I decided to repurpose my snack set into a snack set for the birds.
A place where a bird could sit and relax, have a little nosh and chat with a few friends. Doing so, all the while, in the lap of 1950's luxury.
Nothing but the best for my bird friends.
Supplies Needed:
Vintage glass snack set
Piece of 1/2" wide copper pipe - mine was roughly 3 1/2 feet long
A 1/2" copper adapter
Waterproof epoxy or glass glue
Tomato stake or similar stake to pound into the ground (has to be thin enough to fit inside the copper pipe)
FULL DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS CAN BE FOUND ON THE BLOG.
  • tea time for the birds, gardening, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
A fancy place for the birds to snack.
It started out like a typical vintage glass snack set from the 50's.
I also added water to the tray so the birds could take a sip or dip while having lunch.

Suggested materials for this project:

House Of Hawthornes

Ask a Question
      • Shelley
        Shelley Beaumont, TX

I just finished two of those but wasn't sure how to put them in the garden. Thanks for the suggestion!!

• Shelley
            Shelley Beaumont, TX

@House Of Hawthornes I put them together to be bird feeders but I didn't know how to put them in the yard!

• Pamela Shafer
            Pamela Shafer Troy, TX

What type of glue did you use??

• House Of Hawthornes
                House Of Hawthornes Columbus, OH

@Pamela Shafer I started out using LocTite Glass Glue, which worked fine for the cups, but didn't hold up well for attaching the pipe to the bottom. So I changed to J-B Weld and that has worked out really well. I've heard of people using E6000 for the glass totems and I've used Dap's Clear Silicone Sealant For Doors & Windows for my penny bowling balls, so either one of those should work also.