DIY Ceiling Fan Makeover Farmhouse Style

$50

When my husband removed the ceiling fan to paint the family room, it was the perfect opportunity for me to give our dated ceiling fan a makeover. I knew using Chalk Paint® would be the perfect tool to allow me to transform this fan giving it a more like a farmhouse style. In the beginning, I was thinking to change the bowl for a cage (plant holder). I saw someone using something like this on Pinterest and it looked great however my fan was just slightly different so it wasn’t going to work as I needed it to; also, my husband told me that if I place a cage it might make it noisy. After weighing my options I decided to keep the original glass bowl, but I gave it an update too.
Watch the video above to learn how I transformed my plain Jane ceiling fan into a beautiful farmhouse style fan using Chalk Paint® or you could always just follow this step-by-step guide.
Use a screwdriver to remove the blades.
I'm using Chalk Paint® in Old White, Graphite and Coco.
I made a wash with Old White ratio 1:4 (paint to water). Paint and let them dry.
I'm also going to use the whitewash to paint the bowl.
Now, give it a coat using a wash of Graphite ratio 1:4. Paint and let them dry.
Last coat of paint, this time I'm using a wash of Coco radio 1:4. Paint and let them dry.
Apply a mix of While and Dark wax with a cotton rag.
This part is optional. I'm going to apply a little of Old White (pure) with the
dry brush technique.
Reassemble the fan.
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you like this makeover. Don’t forget to visit my blog, subscribe to my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/LatinMorocha and follow me on my social media, see you soon Chau Chau!

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/LatinMorocha
Instagram -https://www.instagram.com/avantimorocha_1/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/1Avantimorocha1
https://www.pinterest.com/AvantiMorocha/ 

• Barbara Molter-Porter

My fan is on a chain with wire inside the chain it, in brass, how would

you take care of that to match, the fan blades

• Patunia

Was the 1-4 ratio 1 part paint and 4 parts water? I would like to do this with our fans. Lovely job!

patunia

• AvantiMorocha

Hi Patunia, You're correct, 1 radio of paint and 4 of paint, by the way if you watch the video tutorial you'll have more information. Have a great day!

• Jim Petrell

When I installed ceiling fans I had to balance the blades with weights to eliminate vibration at higher speeds. Did you have problems with vibration after reattaching the blades? Great job.

• Debi Longinetti

Ceiling fans typically cone with leveling screws that can be adjusted as needed over the years. Check your manufacturer's instruction manual. If you no longer have the manual, you can probably get it on line.

• AvantiMorocha

We didn't have this issue when we reinstalled the fan.

• Trudi

Wont the paint on the light bowl crack after a time from the heat of the light? Love the paint job.

• Julie Hrustich Faughnan

Love how this turned out! We are re-doing our Florida condo and I am going to update the fans now. I am not very artistic but I will just follow your instructions and see how they come out. Far cheaper than replacing all of the fans and yours looks fantastic! Did you have to sand the blades before applying the whitewash?

• Lee27609273

Going to try this! Do you need to buff the wax with a soft cloth after it dries?

• Margaret Green

Since you painted the light bowl, do you still get enough light for visibility?

• AvantiMorocha

Yes, the light output didn't change very much. I only used a wash which is not a full coat of paint.

• Rita Blueweiss-Bousquet

My fans are ugly brass. Do you think the metal parts can be spray painted once the blades are removed? I am thinking it might effect the motor.

• Leslie

Rita if I am correct you can remove all the metal parts, or at least you used to be able to. Wash them down with a degreaser, Dollar Tree Awesome works great. Rinse and then use a spray paint for metal. I would rough up the surface a bit with fine grit sandpaper for good adherence. If you have areas that are open to the motor inside you can spray some of the paint in a paper cup and dab on with a sponge brush. Good luck.

• Rita Blueweiss-Bousquet

Thanx. I have 5 fans (den, kitchen, and 3 bedrooms) and use them all summer (they are almost always on!). I dread the thought of replacing them all. This is well worth trying.

• AvantiMorocha

Depending of the finish you want instead of spray paint I recommend using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, you can use it to paint metal.

• Rita Blueweiss-Bousquet

Thank you. Soooo many projects, soooo little time! :~)

• Brenda

Hi I would like to do this on my ceiling fan. I love the finish project. Could you tell me where you found the Coco color and the graphite color for this project ? Also you mentioned 1 to 4 ratio do you mean one part white and for par color? Can you be more specific.

• AvantiMorocha

Hi Brenda,

I'm glad you liked the project. Check online on Annie Sloan website where do they sell the paint in your town. For more detail info feel free to check the video tutorial above. When I mentioned 1:4 I mean 1part of water to 4 parts of paint.

Have a great day!

• Vicki

Ace hardware