How do you clean headstones?

+5
  • Nan W. Nan W. on Apr 20, 2018
    Spray bleach cleaner.
  • Janet Panos Janet Panos on Apr 20, 2018
    Hello! I’ve never had to clean a headstone. I imagine that would be the job of the cemetery maintenance crew. However, I would say that a power wash would be the way to go on this project. If you don’t have a power washer, there are places that rent things like that. Good luck!
  • Dee Petree Dee Petree on Apr 20, 2018
    Tried it. There is some kind of green looking moss on it. just keeps coming back. This is a family cemetery. We take care of.
  • M. M.. M. M.. on Apr 21, 2018
    I would hesitate to use a power washer as it could erode the gravestone material and it's carving/design. People usually use a mild detergent in water and a scrub brush, it might take a few visits, don't try to do it all at once. Moss needs consistent cleaning to keep it away. If you visit a local cemetery they might be able to recommend cleaning products created for the industry...
  • Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Apr 21, 2018
    Have used bleach and water with a brush. Also may need a blade scraper
  • Mde11061225 Mde11061225 on Apr 22, 2018
    There is commercial headstone cleanser available. We have also used Dawn and a scrub brush, rinsing well with clear water.

• Deb K Deb K on Apr 22, 2018
    Always begin with clean water, a soft scrub brush, and plastic scrapers. Completely saturate the stone to be cleaned with water. A pump sprayer works best for mostgravestone cleaning operations