How to Make a Pallet Bar for Outside Entertainment

$0
1 Day

Summer has got to come soon and I'm ready to party!!! I 've made 4 of these bars now, one last year and three last month! I kept this one for myself along with the one I made last year.
I had a very long piece of wood ( 8' x 9" x 1 1/2") and I cut it in half with a circular saw. Now I have two 4' long pieces perfect for the tops of the bars!
I hate removing the nails but must be done! Two of these pieces will be the bottom of the bar along with what I will call feet made from posts I cut to size for added height.
The tools I used for this project. Sanding down the pallet wood can be tedious but must be done!
All sanded down and ready to put together. This is the front of the bar.
and this is the back of the bar . I cut down the pieces that were damaged and used them for the shelves along with smaller pieces of the same pallets to make braces for the shelves. All the wood is from these two pallets!
I used Unicorn SPiT in white and
turquoise for the shelves. I then used a clear gloss spray paint to seal the SPiT.
The SPiT colors I used for this project and I love them!!! Can't wait to do a really big project with the other colors very soon!
When I was finished I thought it was too plain jane for me! I needed some color At the time I made this bar I only had white and turquoise colored SPiT.
So I used some acrylic paint in blue and green shades! I think they say summer!!  
I drew out a big butterfly on the front of the bar to go with...
the bar I made last year that has flowers! I posted this one under hometalk.com/28947937/colorful-front-porch-redo-for-free?r=1
That post shows much more detail on building the bar!
The finished bar !! So summery and can't wait to put it to use! I also added solar lights to the butterfly and meant to take a picture last night but forgot, so I'll add a pic tonight!
Thanks for looking and I love all questions and comments!
 out people!!

Solar lights for the hot summer nights!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Flashing or steady they are always ready to light up the night!

RetailSource CPW2424R Recycled 1000 Lbs. Wood Pallet
Wood

• Ellen Mayfield Long

What type of solar lights you used and how did you arrange them? This is a neat idea and I would like to try to recreate for backyard. Thank you!

• Jennifer

I used some lights that I was going to use for Christmas decorating! They are warm and I wanted cool so I saved them and they worked great for this project! All I did was starting at the top of the front of the bar and followed the wood around to the next level and so on. The lights were from Amazon, 100 and warm color (16ft I think), I paid $13 to $17 for them, it's been awhile since I got 'em so not sure on the price but I'm cheap so definitely under $20 They are copper and bend well, no nails or staples!

Would love to see what you create ! Hope this helps you out!

• Tish

Do you have stability issues with this on windy days? Or, are you storing it under cover when not in use?

• Jennifer

I would love to do that, I could start today and make at least 2 this week! Thanks so much Bleach!

• C.B.

Question: Did you fasten this pallet to a wall/railing to stabilize it? You can hinge 2 of them together so they can open up to form a "corner" (45 degree angle) & therefore be a "free standing" unit that can be folded shut & stored more easily. I would "even up" the boards on the backside so that you don't accidentally"snag" anything on them & pull the pallet out of place/down. Like you idea though!

• Jennifer

No it is freestanding now still no problems and I did do a corner one too! You can see the butterfly one freestanding beside the corner one I made. The flower one is cut, the back and front boards, another one I made at someone else house for them is attached to a wall with chain and hinged, can be pulled down into a hanging bar, all are a little bit different. I love variety, I rarely do the same exact thing twice ! Thanks for the suggestions, I don't always post all of my projects so when hometalkers look at this they will see your suggestions as well! Awesome C.B.!

• Cecilia

I love pallets...and this is just another reason for it.

• Jennifer

Yep I love 'em too! I use them for so many things like wall art! I did this freehand with pallet wood last week, "Budding Love Birds at Sunset"! Thank you Cecilia, have fun creating your own!

• Jeannie Carle

I love this! I have a super creative DIL here with me for the "isolation" - I think personally I'd love to see the butterfly outlined with the lights :-) I hope mine will be a fairy

• Jennifer

Thank you Jeannie! Outlining the fairy wings would be awesome looking and blinking that just sounds so cute! I used a very long string of lights so shorter ones would be easier to outline say a fairy!

Enjoy and have fun creating!!