Jennifer
Jennifer
  • Tutorial Team
  • Elizabeth City, NC

How to Make a Pallet Bar for Outside Entertainment

$0

Summer has got to come soon and I'm ready to party!!! I 've made 4 of these bars now, one last year and three last month! I kept this one for myself along with the one I made last year.
how to make a pallet bar for outside entertainment
I had a very long piece of wood ( 8' x 9" x 1 1/2") and I cut it in half with a circular saw. Now I have two 4' long pieces perfect for the tops of the bars!
I hate removing the nails but must be done! Two of these pieces will be the bottom of the bar along with what I will call feet made from posts I cut to size for added height.
The tools I used for this project. Sanding down the pallet wood can be tedious but must be done!
All sanded down and ready to put together. This is the front of the bar.
and this is the back of the bar . I cut down the pieces that were damaged and used them for the shelves along with smaller pieces of the same pallets to make braces for the shelves. All the wood is from these two pallets!
I used Unicorn SPiT in white and
turquoise for the shelves. I then used a clear gloss spray paint to seal the SPiT.
The SPiT colors I used for this project and I love them!!! Can't wait to do a really big project with the other colors very soon!
When I was finished I thought it was too plain jane for me! I needed some color At the time I made this bar I only had white and turquoise colored SPiT.
So I used some acrylic paint in blue and green shades! I think they say summer!!  
I drew out a big butterfly on the front of the bar to go with...
the bar I made last year that has flowers! I posted this one under hometalk.com/28947937/colorful-front-porch-redo-for-free?r=1
That post shows much more detail on building the bar!
The finished bar !! So summery and can't wait to put it to use! I also added solar lights to the butterfly and meant to take a picture last night but forgot, so I'll add a pic tonight!
Thanks for looking and I love all questions and comments!
 out people!!

Solar lights for the hot summer nights!
Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Flashing or steady they are always ready to light up the night!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 17, 2018 11:19 PM - More info

• Donna Racer

How did you remove the boards from the pallet without splitting them?

• Jennifer

Yes you can buy a tool just for taking apart pallets and yes you can buy some fence board to do this type of project and for that matter you could just buy a bar to stick outside The fun part for me is building and creating something from something else that is no longer used or broken! Thanks for the suggestions

• Ellen Mayfield Long

What type of solar lights you used and how did you arrange them? This is a neat idea and I would like to try to recreate for backyard. Thank you!

• Jennifer

I used some lights that I was going to use for Christmas decorating! They are warm and I wanted cool so I saved them and they worked great for this project! All I did was starting at the top of the front of the bar and followed the wood around to the next level and so on. The lights were from Amazon, 100 and warm color (16ft I think), I paid $13 to $17 for them, it's been awhile since I got 'em so not sure on the price but I'm cheap so definitely under $20 They are copper and bend well, no nails or staples!

Would love to see what you create ! Hope this helps you out!

• Tish

Do you have stability issues with this on windy days? Or, are you storing it under cover when not in use?

• Jennifer

I've had the flower bar on my front porch for over a year now. The only thing that moved this bar was me about two months ago to make room for the butterfly bar ! They are heavy and stable. So far the weather has not been a problem at all

• The13363824

These are something to be VERY proud of....you do great art and I really like what you've accomplished. Keep up the good work!!

• Jennifer

Thank you so much!! They really aren't that hard to make and I love to paint!  I have sooo many paintings around my house that I now use the doors to hang my art too

• Jewell Underwood

Love this going to give it a try

• Jennifer

Well thank you Jewell ! If any questions just ask and have fun creating your new bar! Love to see a pic when finished too!