Jennifer
Jennifer
  • Tutorial Team
  • Elizabeth City, NC

How to Make a Pallet Bar for Outside Entertainment

$0
1 Day

Summer has got to come soon and I'm ready to party!!! I 've made 4 of these bars now, one last year and three last month! I kept this one for myself along with the one I made last year.
how to make a pallet bar for outside entertainment
I had a very long piece of wood ( 8' x 9" x 1 1/2") and I cut it in half with a circular saw. Now I have two 4' long pieces perfect for the tops of the bars!
I hate removing the nails but must be done! Two of these pieces will be the bottom of the bar along with what I will call feet made from posts I cut to size for added height.
The tools I used for this project. Sanding down the pallet wood can be tedious but must be done!
All sanded down and ready to put together. This is the front of the bar.
and this is the back of the bar . I cut down the pieces that were damaged and used them for the shelves along with smaller pieces of the same pallets to make braces for the shelves. All the wood is from these two pallets!
I used Unicorn SPiT in white and
turquoise for the shelves. I then used a clear gloss spray paint to seal the SPiT.
The SPiT colors I used for this project and I love them!!! Can't wait to do a really big project with the other colors very soon!
When I was finished I thought it was too plain jane for me! I needed some color At the time I made this bar I only had white and turquoise colored SPiT.
So I used some acrylic paint in blue and green shades! I think they say summer!!  
I drew out a big butterfly on the front of the bar to go with...
the bar I made last year that has flowers! I posted this one under hometalk.com/28947937/colorful-front-porch-redo-for-free?r=1
That post shows much more detail on building the bar!
The finished bar !! So summery and can't wait to put it to use! I also added solar lights to the butterfly and meant to take a picture last night but forgot, so I'll add a pic tonight!
Thanks for looking and I love all questions and comments!
 out people!!

Solar lights for the hot summer nights!
Flashing or steady they are always ready to light up the night!

• Donna Racer

How did you remove the boards from the pallet without splitting them?

• Jennifer

Very carefully ! Some boards will split and I haven't figured out how not to make that happen but I have figured out how to make that not happen so much! I know there are tools made especially for taking apart pallets, wish I had one because I do it the old fashion way with a small pry bar, a really big crowbar and a hammer. First I look for the nails that are sticking out and try to get rid of those first, then I look for weak spots and start to pry off the wood there. Next comes the banging of the hammer with the big crowbar! I also start prying the wood from the middle of the pallet board that I want to remove, then I work my way out to the sides of the pallet. Try not to pop it straight off, most every time that will result in a crack! I will slowly pull then work on the other side of that piece of wood until it comes off! It doesn't work like that all the time, sometimes the wood will just crack no matter how careful you are, that's when I take the circular saw out and saw that piece off! I can always use the cutoff wood pieces to make a shelf or sign! I will add some pictures later today (here) so you can see what I'm talking about. I'm making another one and need to pry off one more piece of wood I didn't get to yesterday! Stay tuned I have a few more tricks and tips on this I will add later too!

• Jennifer

Sorry I won't be taking apart a regular pallet, thought I would get to it but... it will be maybe a week or so now before I can start that project. I have seen other tutorials on this if you can't wait that long and I bet there is a video too.

On my next post with pallets I'll show more on taking them apart

• Raigene Marie Thibaut

My maiden name is Racer... small world?

I use a Sawsal to cut the nails off. Unless I am going to use a planer. You could still cut the nails and use an awl to pop them out. I struggle with splitting boards as well.

• Bonniev

I just cut the boards all off with a sawsal and leave the nail heads in, for a rustic look. Works out fine for me.

• Jennifer

That will work too! Sometimes I just saw them off and other times I pull them out. It really depends on what I'm making.

• Ric28741636

There are tools made just for that purpose. There is also the idea of just cutting them rather than forcing them around the nails. I would get a stair tool from a flooring tool sale site - tap it between the pallet board u want and the pallet board it's attached to and begin tapping on it until it separates. Time consuming. Easier to just purchase decking boards - believe me they are better and will look as rustic. The fun of taking apart pallets is not all that to me.

• Jennifer

Yes you can buy a tool just for taking apart pallets and yes you can buy some fence board to do this type of project and for that matter you could just buy a bar to stick outside The fun part for me is building and creating something from something else that is no longer used or broken! Thanks for the suggestions

• Ellen Mayfield Long

What type of solar lights you used and how did you arrange them? This is a neat idea and I would like to try to recreate for backyard. Thank you!

• Jennifer

I used some lights that I was going to use for Christmas decorating! They are warm and I wanted cool so I saved them and they worked great for this project! All I did was starting at the top of the front of the bar and followed the wood around to the next level and so on. The lights were from Amazon, 100 and warm color (16ft I think), I paid $13 to $17 for them, it's been awhile since I got 'em so not sure on the price but I'm cheap so definitely under $20 They are copper and bend well, no nails or staples!

Would love to see what you create ! Hope this helps you out!

• Tish

Do you have stability issues with this on windy days? Or, are you storing it under cover when not in use?

• Jennifer

I've had the flower bar on my front porch for over a year now. The only thing that moved this bar was me about two months ago to make room for the butterfly bar ! They are heavy and stable. So far the weather has not been a problem at all

• Bleach

Love this. Seriously, you could make these (to order) and sell them.

• Jennifer

I would love to do that, I could start today and make at least 2 this week! Thanks so much Bleach!

• C.B.

Question: Did you fasten this pallet to a wall/railing to stabilize it? You can hinge 2 of them together so they can open up to form a "corner" (45 degree angle) & therefore be a "free standing" unit that can be folded shut & stored more easily. I would "even up" the boards on the backside so that you don't accidentally"snag" anything on them & pull the pallet out of place/down. Like you idea though!

• Jennifer

No it is freestanding now still no problems and I did do a corner one too! You can see the butterfly one freestanding beside the corner one I made. The flower one is cut, the back and front boards, another one I made at someone else house for them is attached to a wall with chain and hinged, can be pulled down into a hanging bar, all are a little bit different. I love variety, I rarely do the same exact thing twice ! Thanks for the suggestions, I don't always post all of my projects so when hometalkers look at this they will see your suggestions as well! Awesome C.B.!

• Jennifer

Thank you Sheryll  ! Enjoy your creation!

• Helen

Looks really nice and not too hard .

• Jennifer

Thanks Helen and remember to look at my other post mentioned above to get more instructions. It is really easy to do! Have fun creating your's!