Lisa S.
Lisa S.
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Wilmington, DE

A Natural Method for Killing Weeds

$1

With kids and pets, a natural way to kill weeds is your best bet. This method is also more economical than commercial weed killers. You may already have these items around the house. It probably only costs $1.00 a bottle to make.

This homemade product is best used on weeds that come up between bricks / pavers on patios. If used on a lawn or garden it will kill grass and flowers / vegetable plants. It
Weeds on my patio!  Looks so bad!
Weeds on my patio! Looks so bad!
Take a plain empty plastic spray bottle. Add 1 tablespoon to 1/2 cup plain table salt. Then pour in 5% white vinegar. Store brand is fine. Then add a squirt of your favorite dishwashing liquid.
a natural method for killing weeds
This solution is pet safe, after it dries.   The 5% white vinegar and salt can burn paws, so it is best to wait unit the solution is dry to welcome them in the area. It will also hurt the eyes if the spray gets into them.
Store brand 5% white vinegar.
Store brand 5% white vinegar.
Check the label for 5% acetic acid. Do NOT use stronger. Stronger vinegar may damage your skin, and the surface you are spraying.
a natural method for killing weeds
Store brand salt is fine. You may use Iodized salt or plain salt. After adding a squirt of dishwashing liquid (your favorite) - shake the bottle to mix thoroughly. It should have a slight color, from the dishwashing liquid.
a natural method for killing weeds
Spray the solution on the weeds. If you have any open sores on your hands, the solution may burn - so wear gloves.
For best results, saturate the weed.
For best results, saturate the weed.
Totally saturate the weed. You may notice that this solution may clean green and dirty areas of the patio.
The weeds are already dying after 1 1/2 hour!
I did this application on a warm spring sunny day. After 1 1/2 hours, the weeds are already dying.
a natural method for killing weeds
Weed dying after 1/1/2 hours. Weeds will continue to die over a few days. For tougher weeds, a second application may be necessary.

When weeds die and turn brown, they can be easily swept up. If you leave them they will disintegrate and blow away!

• 2dogal

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/impact-soil-salt-herbicide-34731.html

This might help your understanding of using salt as a weed killer.

The ramifications go a lot further than just the weeds that may be growing from new seeds blowing into your garden or birds dropping seeds and other ways.

If you are doing the same thing every year and the weeds are still coming back, does not that make you think there may be a different/better way?

• 2dogal

I double dig my garden before planting. With each shovel full, I break the soil apart and get out the roots. I also mulch at least 3 inches deep and have very few weeds. BTW: Am a Master Gardener.

• Buster

what are the measurments,

• HELEN

WHAT ARE ALL THE PROPER MEASUREMENTS FOR ALL THREE ITEMS

• Is it 1 tablespoon or a 1/2 cup of SALT???, and how much vinegar? Is the vinegar 1/2 cup? Then add a squirt of dish soap??

• Irene

INTERESTING!

• Jan

I killed a whole rubber tree with salt and vinagar. The tree was too close to the pool so it had to go. The only difference is to cover the stump with trash can so it got no light.