HELP! How to safely remove 12" mirror tiles from the wall?

+9
We just moved into a new place. The last residents put 12" mirror tiles on the wall in the dining room. YUCK! I am afraid of breaking the tiles, getting glass splinters everywhere or taking big chunks off the sheet rock. They seem to have used extra sticky two sided foam tape/adhesive strips. Any suggestions?

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Apr 20, 2018
    Hi there, cover them with tape first! Masking tape works well so does painter's tape. That way if you do break them they hold together!
  • William William on Apr 20, 2018
    Use a length of dental floss like a saw. Pry a corner and slip the floss behind the tiles and use a sawing motion to cut through the foam tape or adhesive. You can also use some butchers string or heavy fishing line.
  • Jan Loehr Jan Loehr on Apr 20, 2018
    Looks like this could be a dangerous job for someone who has never dealt with this before....mirrors are usually adhered to a wall with firm glue or very heavy tape in either case you will have to most likely repair the sheet rock under it....call in a contractor for an opinion first...
    • Sylvie Sylvie on Apr 20, 2018
      I pretty much expect to have some wall damage. But resurfacing one wall is not that bad. I was just worried about deep gouges in the sheet rock. And of course the glass shards.
  • before trying to remove, cover the glass in painter's or masking tape to cut down on the breakage.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 20, 2018
    Could be stuck on with double sided sticky pads and may lever off. Try the bottom row first, but wear Gloves and Safety glasses whilst doing it. Are they Glass mirror tiles or could they be Acrylic??
    • Sylvie Sylvie on Apr 20, 2018
      They are defiantly glass. I was able to lift one from the wall and see the thick two sided foam tape on the back side. The rest are really stuck and I was afraid they would crack and burst sending shards everywhere. I'm liking the idea of covering them with painters tape to keep breakage to a minimum. I ABSOLUTELY will use gloves and googles.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 21, 2018
    Glad to help - Stay safe.........