Looking for suggestions or ideas for Memorial Garden

ElizabethKaron Nelson RobertsLori J
+8

I have started a Memorial Garden in the corner of my yard for my Grandson who passed away in January. Looking for ideas and suggestions. I love all of the creativity on Hometalk. The little turtle sandbox will soon be filled with flowers.
  • Terri Austill
    Terri Austill

I am so very sorry! Looks like you have a good start. I love the way you're using his rocker and sandbox to honor his memory! Blessings to you and your family!

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth

Thank You. He was a beautiful boy who was born with Congenital Diaphramatic Hernia. The rocker was in his Great Grandmother's house for all of the grandchildren. The sandbox was donated by his brother. As you can see, I have incorporated a crib into the garden in unassembled form. I was looking for ideas for what to do with it.

• Summersjoy
      Summersjoy

I have chimes that I've hung in memory of loved ones! When I hear them, I feel that they are greeting me.....

• Sherry Fisher
    Sherry Fisher

I love this idea and would like to do the same in my little angel's memory......my grandson was born prematurely and only lived a year. He too was a beautiful boy. Thank you

• Tracy
    Tracy

We created a garden in memory of our daughter. We have a bench where we can sit and remember, and we also planted flowers in shades of pink and white to represent more of a "girly" feeling. We also have wind chimes and birdbaths. It is a peaceful place.

• Debra Grieve
    Debra Grieve

I'm so sorry! It is a shame when a little person passes! You are starting out great! You may think about at least sealing or painting the crib parts and then using them as a border/trellis for some sort of climbing vine. Sweet Peas perhaps?? Maybe consider some sunflowers and other "kid friendly" types of plants. You could even make a teepee type structure to be covered with plants where he could've played? Kids seem to love snap dragons also as they can "talk" when you squeeze the sides. If you get some flexible grape vine, like you have there, maybe use some nails and twine to shape it into a heart. God bless you and yours!

• Lori J
    Lori J

What about some stepping stones with small 'baby' items imbedded? Pacifiers, rattles, diaper pins...those sorts of things. And certainly something with his name. I hope this garden brings you some comfort. The roses I planted in my father's honor have done that for me.

• Karon Nelson Roberts
    Karon Nelson Roberts

I'm so sorry. I think it's wonderful to make a memory garden for each of you to enjoy and remember him. Make a bench with the crib(I've seen several post of bed frames turned bench on Hometalk), Make stepping stones with some of his small toys(rattles, pacifier, teething ring) embedded, or in shapes of cars and trucks(Also seen on Hometalk). You can make a wooden sign with his name engraved on it. I hope and pray this garden brings ya'll some comfort. (I lost my son 2/14/13) God Bless

• Elizabeth
      Elizabeth

@Karon Nelson Roberts Unfortunately, my carpentry skills and tools are sorely lacking, otherwise I would certainly make a bench with the crib parts. The stepping stones is a great idea and something I can do with his brother to add to the garden.

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth

Tracy, I'm sorry for your loss. My boy lived for 37 days. The garden is a work in progress. I have had many contributions from family and friends.