Create Raised Designs on Just About Anything With Plaster Stencils

create raised designs on just about anything with plaster stencils, crafts, painted furniture
Plaster stencils typically are laser cut of heavier mylar so that they hold up well to scraping. But they can also be used with paint as well.
Step one: Tape the stencil to the wall, ceiling, cabinet or furniture piece you wish to add a raised design to.
Step Two: Smear the stencil openings with common joint compound (found pre-mixed in buckets at your local home store or Walmart). Joint compound can also be pre-tinted with any water based paint or coloring. (Even food coloring or craft paint works well).
Un-tape the stencil and gently peel it back to reveal the raised design.
Let the design dry completely. To bring out the detail even further, mix a darker paint color with translucent wall glaze, brush over the design then use a rag to remove the excess.

To see more: http://victorialarsen.com/how_to_stencil_with_plaster.html

• Bernie Kreshmar-Hiller

Where did you purchase the stencil you used for the ceiling, using drywall compound?

• Heather Hughes

I bought several stencils from you off Ebay and used joint compound as suggested, but I didn't mix glue or tint into it and used premixed joint compound. It is really beautiful however I want it to last can I just paint over with latex paint same color as my walls? If I don't want to do it that way can I use acrylic paint to them for other effects.?

• Victoria Larsen Stencils

Hi Heather, the only time I add glue to my joint compound is if I'm doing furniture or cabinets that are going to get abuse so no worries there. Yes, you can just paint over your design with wall paint and it will be just fine. I've never had raised designs chip off a wall and I've been doing them since 2004 and if you want to simply replace the stencil over the design, it's then easy to paint it any way you choose with acrylic paints. I'd love to see pics!

• Heather Hughes

Thank you so much for answering. I will take pics when finished we are actually stenciling and painting right now. I love the thickness and quality is best I have ever used. Will definitely be purchasing more as we are painting the whole house. Lol I am sold! Lol I have been stenciling for years but only in my crafting quality of those other guys is far from yours. Love your products!

• Heather Hughes

One more question Ms. Larsen the glue your talking about is just regular Elmers glue?

• Leesa Osborne

Hi I'm confused about the glue part. I'm wanting to do this useing the sparkling paste. I can't find what your referring to as far as adding glue.

• Victoria Larsen

The article doesn't say anything about glue Leesa, but we do sometimes add white glue to joint compound for better adhesion over slick surfaces. We add 1/4 cup of glue to 2 cups of joint compound. Hope that helps!

• Leesa Osborne

Awesome!! Thanks for the tip

• Dale Toth

Victoria, your stencils are incredible!! On your site you show a chest by Julie McDowell using your vine medallion and mold set. Are the molds she has on the front strong enough to use as the door knobs? I'm assuming those are doors and there doesn't appear to be any other knobs.

What a great technique. I was looking for a "contact us" tab on your site but didn't find it. Technology is like a foreign language for me and I flunked French. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. Is there a better way to message you if a project goes south and I need advice?

Thanks, Dale
    • Victoria Larsen Stencils

Good Morning Dale,

I supposed you could use the mold for a knob if you use casting cement, but it might be a little thin to hold the screw head securely.

You can contact me at victorysprings@yahoo.com with any questions you might have.

Thanks for posting!

Victoria
    • Dale Toth

Thanks Victoria.
  • Karen Sayers

Could I ask what joint compound is, is this like tile grout?
    • Victoria Larsen Stencils

Hi Karen, When a new house is built, the contractor covers the wallboard with a plaster like product called "joint compound". It comes pre-mixed in a plastic bucket, and you just open it up and smear the stencil with it, pull the stencil off and when it dries, it creates the raised design you see. All joint compound is the same so even the cheap bucket at Walmart is exactly what you want to use.
    • Rene Jones

It's sheet rock mud, {The white mud looking stuff they use to join and smooth sheet rock to your walls}

• Billie

Love this idea! Was wondering how these would stand up to cleaning and everyday wear and tear?

• Victoria Larsen Stencils

We either paint over our designs with wall paint or seal them with clear, non-yellowing polyurethane so that you can clean them if need be. Hope that helps!

• Sydney

Do these stencils come in larger sizes? I am doing an outside wall and Ned a repeating pattern that is about 24x36 in