Songbird Cottage
Songbird Cottage
  • Fairhope, AL

Lessons in Chalk Paint

My first project using Chalk Paint was a French Provencal bedroom set that I found on Craigslist. There were three pieces: a side table, a chest of drawers, and a headboard. (For this post, I am featuring the side table and chest of drawers). This is a Broyhill Premium set, very well made, probably from the 1970′s. I got them to use in my guest bedroom and they were a perfect fit. Of course, the original stain color would not work (I definitely wanted something lighter), so I knew I would have to refinish.
lessons in chalk paint, chalk paint, painted furniture
Before and After Pictures of My First Chalk Paint Project
French Provencal Chest of Drawers with Chalk Paint finish
French Provencal Side Table with Chalk Paint finish

To see more: http://songbirdcottage.com/lessons-chalk-paint/

• Barb P

What color(s) of chalk paint did you use? and how did you achieve the antique look?

• Lov2052251

Did she say

• Adriana

She did, on the 'songbird cottage.com' link above. You need to read her process.

• Joanna Austin

I, always sand it first. Then, use a primer so that the paint will stick to the piece. Check out, Southern Antiques & Rarities, and look for my pieces. I always use chaulk paint.

• Beverly

What color did you use? I would like to do the same.

• Shauna

Do you have to sand the furniture before painting?

• Ness

Yes, stripping it would even be better, get into the cracks and crevices with a soft medium toothbrush or small fingernail brush

• Marilyn Mead

I don't sand or strip the furniture that I redo with chalk paint and it saves a lot of work and turns out nicely.

• Law M a

No you do not have to sand and definitely don't have to strip. I have done several pieces of furniture with chalk paint. I prefer to use dark glaze. I also like to use Polyurethane it is stronger and longer lasting than the chalk.

• Law M a

Sorry I mean Polyurethane is stronger and longer lasting then wax. I use the glaze to antique it, instead of using dark wax. Then I finish with Polyurethane. You can not Polyurethane over wax.

• FRANCINE RUSH

Hi I did a chair that i used american decor paint in timeless with clear wax I then applied dark wax think i did it too dark any suggestions on lightening this piece??? I think I should have just stayed with clear wax...UGGH thanks for your time FSR

• Carol Bennett

The shop where I got my supplies ( Annie Sloan ) told me to mix the dark wax 1/2 and 1/2 with odorless mineral spirits. That helped , but there were some areas on my project that still were too dark. Rubbing it with clear was helps, but if you still want more off, wipe it with straight mineral spirits on a piece of cheese cloth.

• Marilyn Mead

I also read that putting clear wax over the dark wax will remove as much dark wax as you want. I did the same thing and I have yet to try this so I hope it works for both of us.

• Songbird Cottage

Yes, the clear wax can act as an "eraser" of sorts when used over the dark wax if you put too much and want to lighten up the piece.
  • Ruthann McGrath

We purchased a guitar with a veneer back which has been deeply scratched. Is there a way to repair this without going into a lot of expense?

• Shawna Bailey

I'd need to see a picture. Is it one deep thin scratch, or is the veneer peeling off?

• Andrea

What color chalk paint did you use on this project? I love the color

• Shawna Bailey

It looks just like a white

• Tmq15122439

Looks like Mineral and a white for the second coat.. I am Wondering how she got it so glossy? Polyurethane maybe?? Or she buffed it til her arms fell off. I can't believe this is her first chalk paint project, it's very beautiful. I been working with Chalk paint for years, many different styles and tricks.. it's not mastered in one try.

, Just finished my own antique Dining Room Table onto chairs
    • M. K. M.

Lol.."arms fell off..". You funny. But I concur that the glossy look is the icing on the cake. It's beautiful.

• Songbird Cottage

Yes, it is white with dark wax. And buffing til my arms nearly fell off! Ha, ha!
  • Judy Charles

What is chalk paint and where do you get it? Do you need primer first?
  • Carol

Can the chalk paint be used on kitchen cabinets with no prep? How can it be done?
  • Dpbeee2

What did you seal it with and did you add the dark wax before sealing?
    • Songbird Cottage

It is sealed with clear wax and buffed to a high sheen. Yes, I did use dark wax before.
  • Tj

In the photos it almost looks like the grain of the wood is showing through, which is really nice, but I'm thinking it was just how you did the dark wax. Is there a certain way you go about applying it to get that look?
  • Agl28827049

Can I put dark wax over a table that has been painted white and waxed already with white wax
  • She29070682

I love this color I am going to attempt this in this piece of furniture of mine!! What was the color of chalk paint , stain and sealant you used, and do I hav to sand a little before I start ? Thank you!!
  • Atir1941

how did you do it?
  • Pina De Menna

Love, love, love how you transformed the bedroom set. What colors did you use to paint the original set?
  • Cindy Staff Fraga

love the color what is the name?
  • Pat

How can I update a Drexel(Bolero 1970's) Buffet. It had been in a fire and the top was abit scorched and had to be refinished. The top did not hold up for long and started flaking off so I have to keep it covered. My daughter wants me to get rid of it, but I love it and want to update it. Can you please tell me the process for the chalk Painting, or any other process that will update it. Thank you. Pat

• Hhh1117260

Pay, When the fire scorched the top did it only do half or all, and is it peeling up? If not and you like the color that the fire created you can torch the rest of it.(I purchased one at WalMart) Find a color you enjoy for your buffet and make you own chalk paint. Pinterest, diy chalk paint.

• Christine DeVries

Your furniture pieces turned out beautiful !!! Did you sand or prep the wood in any way before the painting ? I have a roadside find I want to transform , a 1970’ s head and foot board . Thanks

• Christine DeVries

• Janie Fuller

My guess would b she "knocked the gloss off," because otherwise the paint will just chip off...

• Lac33473076

What brand/colors did you use for this project?

• Rebecca Drake

I'm totally new to this. I want to paint my grandmother's old Singer treadle sewing machine. How do I do it? Be gentle. I don't know anything!

• Valerie jones

Did you want to use chalk paint? That’s the easiest. Just clean it good, then go to town! You really can’t mess up with chalk paint. Parts that you don’t want to paint, like maybe the metal parts, just use painters tape and tape them off. But if you happen to get paint on them, chalk paint will wipe off with water (before you seal it) Then you will need to follow up with a wax coat, usually clear. Colored waxed are used as accents. You can get chalk paint and wax at any craft store, Home Depot, or look for an Annie Sloan stockist in your area. It really is the best, but you will pay for it.

• Francis Heifner

What paint color did you use on the broyhill chest and what kind of finish

• Francis Heifner

What color did you use and what type of finish

• Hel33597835

I used dark wax on a table but don’t like it. How do you use it? It just made mine look dirty 😞

• Patricia

What color you used

• Francis Heifner

Yes

• Sharon Furey Davis

Yes i need to what caulk and what br paint and any finishes put on it whden done. Please get back i have 2 broyhill fend tables that woulhd go beautfully with my cdriftwood covered couch . please thankyou