Update a 100 Year Old Lady

27K Views
So I get a knock on my door. My neighbor said she’s cleaning her garage, was dragging an old vanity out to the curb and thought of me. Did “I want it“ was the question. Free! Old vanity!! Are you kidding!!! So another rescue from the curb.
Time: 3 DaysCost: $50Difficulty: Easy
  • update a 100 year old lady
The vanity had great detail which you couldn’t see because of the ugly black paint job. It also did not have a mirror or knobs. I already had a bench In my treasure room. After scouring the local junk and antique malls, I found mirror and knobs that were from the same era. So the question was, how was I going to tie all these pieces together.
The first job was to clean the piece and sand the top. Once sanded I stained the top mahogany.

• update a 100 year old lady
Step 2. In the above picture you can see the details on the vanity drawer were both raised and machined into the piece. I had experimented with trying to paint this detail but found it easier to spray paint the whole area first and then fill in with your primary color around them. To bring the bling, my spray paint was a metallic gold. I used a Serenity Blue to compliment the gold.
  • update a 100 year old lady
Step 3. I decided to add more jewelry, so I taped the top and added a gold necklace around it. I also painted the mirror gold.
  • update a 100 year old lady
Step 4. I next started to work on the bench by painting the detail gold and the bench blue. I added a French Document material to the seat. I decided this Lady deserved high
heels, so yep, gold shoes. Once finished a coat of finishing wax was applied to the chalk painted areas.
  • update a 100 year old lady
We now have a Grand Lady dressed in her finery for another 100 years.
  • update a 100 year old lady
While the vanity, bench and mirror were not an exact match, the paint pulled them all together.
  • update a 100 year old lady
You can now see the detail on the vanity.

• update a 100 year old lady
With a little work this vanity is now a statement piece for any boudoir.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of May 12, 2018 11:18 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.