Wedding Candle Votives

$30

I have a very specific idea in my head of what I want my table centerpieces to look like. I completely blame Pinterest. My florist totally gets my vibe, but didn't have the votives I was searching for. Naturally, I searched the internet and still could not find exactly what I am looking for so I DIY-ed it!
wedding candle votives
Months ago, I decided that using wine bottles would be my best choice, so I kept every bottle I drank. Don't worry I have really great friends who helped me  I gathered my materials and got started.
wedding candle votives
I soaked my bottles and scratched the sticky off but a few bottles were being rather stubborn. I looked up how to get rid of the extra layer that wasn't ready to part from the bottle. Mix one part cooking oil (I went with olive oil) and one part baking soda, rub on the bottle and let sit for half an hour. Scrub with a sponge. The instructions said one tea spoon for a small bottle, I mixed two tablespoons oil and two tablespoons baking soda and it was just the perfect amount for 13 bottles.
wedding candle votives
Once everything was clean, I measured the width of the bottle with my string. At first I thought one string would be fine but boy was I wrong. Learn from my mistake, it WILL NOT cut the bottle. You need one really long string to wrap around the bottle a few times to really make sure the bottle cracks.
wedding candle votives
Once I knew about how long the string should be, I soaked it acetone. I put the string back on the bottle and lit up the string. While the fire is still going I rotated the bottle a few times and dipped the bottle in a bucket of very cold water. The drastic change in temperature cracked the bottle, you'll hear a little bit of a pop.
Error loading player:
No playable sources found
wedding candle votives
Once the bottles were cut, I took some sand paper to smooth out the edges to ensure they aren't so sharp.
wedding candle votives
This was exactly the look I was going for! I'm looking forward to uploading another picture from the wedding itself with the real flowers.

• Michael Bax

Is it possible to cut the bottom of a bottle off with an angle grinder?

• Larry miller

If you are going to use glass cutter, dip the blade in varsol 1st, lube, and will help from the cut splintering. Other lubes will work but not as well. I have been cutting glass, granite, marble, for many years, ALWAYS use a lube.