Succulent Table

$50

Before you take that broken piece of furniture to the dump, look beyond its intended purpose and create something unique. A chair can become a shelf, a dresser can become a bar, & a table can become a planter!
This antique table had pretty details, but was missing its top and its doors.
I gave the dark dingy brown a fresh, lively color called Colonel Mustard, from the Dixie Belle Paint Company. I painted the inside of the table with a gray, called Driftwood.
Once my paint colors were dry, I added dark wax in the color, Grunge Gray (also from the Dixie Belle Paint Company). I put in on heavy with a wax brush making sure that the wax got down into the nooks and crannies so it would show all the beautiful detail of the table.
I used a dry rag to wipe away the excess wax.
Since the top of the table was missing, it was open down into the drawer. I filled the drawer with heavy duty plastic, and used a staple gun to secure it to the top of the table.

I added pallet wood the the top to cover the staples, then filled the drawer with pebbles.
I covered the pebbles with dirt then filled the drawer with succulents.
This piece once destined for the dump, is now a beautiful planter, as well as a great conversation piece. And, because the table was free, this project was inexpensive!

Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Virginia B

• Deborah Berkman-Parisi
    Deborah Berkman-Parisi

What did you seal the chalk paint with so that the planter could withstand the elements of outdoors?

• Carrie Reid
      Carrie Reid

I make these every year . Seal paint with a few coats of polyacrylic...polyurethane with yellow so don’t use.

• Lori Beth Merrill
    Lori Beth Merrill

What color paint did you use to paint the bottom inside of the planter with? It is such a nice contrasting gray.

• Noneya
    Noneya

I have a real old dresser that is almost identical to this succulent table... the dresser itself, as far as I know, dates back to AT LEAST my 81 year old grandmother's parents time... Im ITCHING to rip out power tools... but, should I? Or, should I just refinish it up real nice, & use it for extra storage (3 kids... smh). Or, simple sell it? The indecision is almost painful, lol. I LOVE to create, so thats why. Now, as far as I know, its got the original stain on it. Also, even IF I were to sell it, I wouldn't even know who to trust, or where to begin... Does anyone have any thoughts?

• Petra
      Petra

Love this idea. The colors you used are absolutely beautiful.