How to Install a Ceiling Fan

$200

This past summer we were introduced to a new type of ceiling fan by Stile. We thought it would be a perfect fit for the studio at Steph's house. This fan has blades that are enclosed so it doesn't look like the typical ceiling fan. The studio space is small and the existing fan overwhelms the area. Also, it doesn't provide much overall light at all.

Because it doesn't have exposed blades it made the installation much easier.

Before attempting any electrical work, TURN OFF the power. This can be done at your circuit/fuse box. Ours is in the garage, but yours may be located someplace else in your house.
Take a look at the video to see how Steph installed the fan with a little help from nephew, Andrew!
The fan parts were well packaged and the instructions were conveniently located in the top of the box. It does require assembly, but the instructions are very clear in walking you through the process. Those three long pieces at the front are decorative pieces. We did not use them. They are not structural so they do not effect the efficiency of the fan.
Steph laid out all the parts and assembled as much as she could in the garage before taking it inside for the install.
This fan has a remote so before installation the receiver box is set up to work with the remote before being tucked into the top of the fan. This only looks complicated, but it's not. Again, the instructions are very clear in helping to set this up.
Uh, oh! This is where we ran into the one small hiccup in the installation process. The ceiling box (really a circle) was too small. The existing one was 3" and we needed one that was 4" in diameter.
We found what we needed during our quick trip back to The Home Depot. They actually have a lot of parts for fans if you're needing to make repairs to an existing one.
The old box came out as easily as the new one went in. Yay! Back to the install.
As Steph worked on the wiring, I read out the steps. It really helpful to have a buddy helping with this so the installer can concentrate on what she is doing. The hardest part of this install was getting all the wiring tucked into the canopy.
The last step is to secure the canopy to the ceiling which is done with screws. Once the install is finished, go back to the circuit/fuse box and turn the power back on.
Before. Exposed blades, little light.
After. Bright and modern looking and no exposed blades. Much better!
The LED light strips inside the fan really gives off a lot of bright, soft light.
That wire cage can be removed to clean the blades.
We really like the look of the new fan.

Mother Daughter Projects

• Her33272213

I love it but how do you clean the blades? I can use a swiffer on the traditional type fan but what's the trick to clean these enclosed blades?

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

She said the cover comes off for cleaning. I wan't to know if it is screws or tabs that flip out. screws will eventually not be so tight after a while. I need to clean my fans every couple of months. It's easy to stand on the table and wipe them, this doesn't look so easy but it sure is a nice looking fan.

• Esther

How much heat does the light give off? My office seems to be the warmest room anyway, & I need adequate lighting that doesn't generate a ton of heat. Read the specs, but.... Otherwise, great-looking fan that seems to meet my needs.

• Chandra

Love the clean look, just beautiful 👏👏 Question..I see the blades looks small, just wondering how much cool air the fan gives out? Thank u!

• Mother Daughter Projects

Unlike a fan with larger blades, the air is more concentrated right under the fan although the air does start to circulate once the fan has been on a while. It functions much like a box fan.

• B. Enne

Thanks for the tips! I like this so much better than the ugly fans we have.

• Skrizzo

I have this fan in my small kitchen and I love it. The fan draws enough air to circulate through the kitchen and dining room. I feel no heat from the light.