Dining Table Update!

$120

Hi friends! I am so excited to bring you this Dining Table Update! It was a fairly simple project and made such a beautiful impact on our dining room! Our dining table was black and was actually very pretty before this DIY. The thing that I didn't love about it was that it made the dining room feel heavy and formal. I really adore Restoration Hardwares limed wood finished dining tables, but definitely was not willing to spend that much money on a new table so I decided to give ours a high end look for less! For the full, detailed tutorial head over to the blog https://statelyhomelane.com/dining-table-update/ .
dining table update
Here is a shot of the before. It's in great shape, and I really love the trestle style of the table. However, the color seems to be weighing down the space, and since I love a casual cottage feel, I decided it was time for a change. Lets get started with how I transformed this table!
dining table update
I began by painting over the entire table in Annie Sloan's chalk paint in the color Pure White. Our table took 2 coats. Yours may take more or less depending on the starting color and how much paint you use. I like to do my coats with less paint to avoid dripping and running. It requires more coats, but the finished product is a smoother finish.
dining table update
Next I dipped just the tip of my paint brush into Annie Sloan's chalk paint in the color French Linen. A little bit of paint is great. You can always build on what you've already done.
dining table update
Holding your brush straight up and down you will start at one end of your table and drag the paint length-wise creating a wood grain look, adding more paint to your brush as needed. Continue to do these long strokes down your table until the table is covered. This is what it looked like after one coat of the French Linen.
dining table update
i wanted more the the darker color so I added another coat of the French linen once my first coat had dried. You can see the difference in the picture above. The left side is after one coat and the right after two.
dining table update
After the second coat of French Linen was dry on the entire table I finished off by using a clear wax over top. I used Annie Sloan's clear wax first (applying a very thin coat with an Annie Sloan wax brush), while that was still wet I used the dark wax in spots to add depth and make the "wood" look more realistic. I then buffed the entire surface of the table. If you aren't comfortable using chalk paint you could always polyurethane the table as well.
dining table update
Here is what the tabletop looks like completed!
dining table update
I absolutely love how this piece turned out and the way it has made the room feel so much brighter! Our dining space is so much more beautiful and casual!

Haley    at statelyhomelane.com

• Aislinglohan

It looks great. Exactly What I need to an inherited table that is to dark for my taste. What do you mean by buffed the table, what did you use to buff it? Thanks

• Thank you! I used a wax to seal the paint instead of polyurethane. Using a wax brush you apply a thin layer of wax to the entire table. Then, using a clean cloth (I use my husbands hands t shirts) you take off any excess wax using a circular motion.

• Wendy

what color was the dark wax that you used? I love this-I also have a table that weighs down room

Also-what did you do to prep table before you started white chalk paint

• Hi Wendy! Annie Sloan has a 2 waxes, clear and dark. I used clear first and then used the dark only in certain areas to add depth. To prep the table I just washed it off with a damp soapy cloth. Chalk paint is fairly low maintenance when it comes to prep work. Good luck on your project!

• Paul

I love what you did to the table! I also really love the entire look of the room. Do you have a tutorial on the paneled walls? They look amazing!

• Thank you so much! I appreciate it! Unfortunately we hired a contractor to do the wainscotting so I don’t have a tutorial for that particular project.