$5 and 5 Minutes to MORE SPACE Under Your Sink!

$5

Do you have wasted space under your sink? Or unsightly bags you want to hide in the back? Install a tension rod, tip a basket up against your pipes and you’ll have have an instant shelf.
5 and 5 minutes to more space under your sink
This week’s challenge was to use a tension rod. My son graduated college and is spending the week with me before embarking on a 1,300 mile hike, so I wanted to do an easy and quick project for the challenge. I also hoped to keep the project under $5 (because I have thoroughly spoiled him this week)!
So I went to the Dollar Tree to find a few baskets with a substantial lip for angeled balancing.
Here is the bin I chose. It came in several colors but I prefer to keep my storage items white (from hangers to baskets) for continuity. Two bins at $1 each and then off to Walmart for a tension rod!
I purchased a white rod that is 24-48” long.
One glance under my kitchen sink shows the unsightly bags to the right and the wasted top space on the left.
I twisted the tension rod into place at the front of the cupboard so that the back of the basket rests against the pipe that was hindering the overhead usage.
5 minutes of rearranging and 5 dollars later, I created useable and easily removable cupboard space. Then I went back to the kiwi and pineapple I was dehydrating for my son’s adventure!

• Pat12169064

This could be my cabinet. I even store the bags in the same place. I don't see them in the finished picture. Where are the bags now?

Great idea, which I'm going to copy.

• Jewell Martin

A black roll of something is on the right, on the cabinet floor. In the lower left basket isn’t something else similar. Our view of something’s is blocked though the middle brace. ☺️

• Alradborn

I was wondering if the holes in the basket are big enough to put a rod through it, that way if there is no support (pipe) I could do that instead.

• Nan32597543

I tried this & the tension rod kept slipping down even when tightened. Did you use rod cups to secure the rod?

• Sharon

Great idea! I have also used two very tiny tension rod placed vertically in my “Tupperware” cabinet and use them to hold back all my plastic lids.