$5 and 5 Minutes to MORE SPACE Under Your Sink!

56K Views
Do you have wasted space under your sink? Or unsightly bags you want to hide in the back? Install a tension rod, tip a basket up against your pipes and you’ll have have an instant shelf.
Time: 5 MinutesCost: $5Difficulty: Easy
  • 5 and 5 minutes to more space under your sink
This week’s challenge was to use a tension rod. My son graduated college and is spending the week with me before embarking on a 1,300 mile hike, so I wanted to do an easy and quick project for the challenge. I also hoped to keep the project under $5 (because I have thoroughly spoiled him this week)!
So I went to the Dollar Tree to find a few baskets with a substantial lip for angeled balancing.
Here is the bin I chose. It came in several colors but I prefer to keep my storage items white (from hangers to baskets) for continuity. Two bins at $1 each and then off to Walmart for a tension rod!
I purchased a white rod that is 24-48” long.
One glance under my kitchen sink shows the unsightly bags to the right and the wasted top space on the left.
I twisted the tension rod into place at the front of the cupboard so that the back of the basket rests against the pipe that was hindering the overhead usage.
5 minutes of rearranging and 5 dollars later, I created useable and easily removable cupboard space. Then I went back to the kiwi and pineapple I was dehydrating for my son’s adventure!

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of May 19, 2018 10:23 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.