Porch Transformed to a Sunroom

$1000
Advanced

We have lived in our home for almost four years and have enjoyed our covered porch/deck overlooking our pool. But, I have always wanted to enclose it with windows to make a real room that we could use all year long.

porch transformed to a sunroom

Our covered porch/deck had a railing overlooking the pool, we had to remove the rails and frame out for windows.

porch transformed to a sunroom

We had determined the size of our windows and ordered them from Home Depot along with the door.

porch transformed to a sunroom

Windows and the door are in and it was challenging to get them in the second story of our home - but hubby and I figured it out!

Another photo of the windows in the frame.

porch transformed to a sunroom

We painted the floor (after I spilled paint)!

porch transformed to a sunroom

Installed insulation and then drywall - tape, mud and sanded.

porch transformed to a sunroom

The one wall was an eyesore - so I decided to put up a faux brick wall using brick wall board from Home Depot.

porch transformed to a sunroom

Brick wall is up and now to paint it!

porch transformed to a sunroom

I used several layers and chalk paint to paint it and used spackle to fill the seams and to add additional texture to the flat wall.

porch transformed to a sunroom

I wanted to do something different for the step going in to the house - so it would show up and not trip people - so I used Frog Tape and striped it with gray paint.

porch transformed to a sunroom

After painting the room, we added some furniture and plants - still need to finish the trim around the windows and ceiling. The ceiling fan/light is from Amazon and the indoor/outdoor rug is from Overstock.

porch transformed to a sunroom

Here's the new faux brick wall!

porch transformed to a sunroom

Another photo of the faux brick wall - I love it!

• Chalk paint  (Walmart)
  • Floor paint  (Home Depot)
  • Windows  (Home Depot)

• Gloria tulip

Is the room heated and air-conditioned? And does the porch have insulation in the ceiling.

• Flipturn

You listed the number of materials as 5. What were the 5 materials that cost the total of the $1000?

Did this $1000 include the door and the windows?

• Flipturn

So, all the windows, the door, the faux brick, the lumber, plus the incidental trim, etc. was only $1000?

• Kitty

Really nice! Hubby and I would love to have a 4-seasons porch - we live in Ohio though, so I'm wondering how your structure holds up to various weather conditions. Do you think we'd need to plan on more heat, A/C and insulation? We have an awning-covered porch in both the front and the back, so some of the work has already been done for us. LOVE what you did!

• Cindy Hagemann

Kitty -

our porch was already under the roof of the house, so we added insulation, framing, windows, siding, etc. we added a vent for our HVAC system. The windows get lots of natural light so on a sunny day even cold - it stays pretty warm.