Porch Transformed to a Sunroom

$1000
Advanced

We have lived in our home for almost four years and have enjoyed our covered porch/deck overlooking our pool. But, I have always wanted to enclose it with windows to make a real room that we could use all year long.

Our covered porch/deck had a railing overlooking the pool, we had to remove the rails and frame out for windows.

We had determined the size of our windows and ordered them from Home Depot along with the door.

Windows and the door are in and it was challenging to get them in the second story of our home - but hubby and I figured it out!

Another photo of the windows in the frame.

We painted the floor (after I spilled paint)!

Installed insulation and then drywall - tape, mud and sanded.

The one wall was an eyesore - so I decided to put up a faux brick wall using brick wall board from Home Depot.

Brick wall is up and now to paint it!

I used several layers and chalk paint to paint it and used spackle to fill the seams and to add additional texture to the flat wall.

I wanted to do something different for the step going in to the house - so it would show up and not trip people - so I used Frog Tape and striped it with gray paint.

After painting the room, we added some furniture and plants - still need to finish the trim around the windows and ceiling. The ceiling fan/light is from Amazon and the indoor/outdoor rug is from Overstock.

Here's the new faux brick wall!

Another photo of the faux brick wall - I love it!

• Chalk paint  (Walmart)
  • Floor paint  (Home Depot)
  • Windows  (Home Depot)

• Flipturn

You listed the number of materials as 5. What were the 5 materials that cost the total of the $1000?

Did this $1000 include the door and the windows?

• Flipturn

So, all the windows, the door, the faux brick, the lumber, plus the incidental trim, etc. was only $1000?

• Kitty

Really nice! Hubby and I would love to have a 4-seasons porch - we live in Ohio though, so I'm wondering how your structure holds up to various weather conditions. Do you think we'd need to plan on more heat, A/C and insulation? We have an awning-covered porch in both the front and the back, so some of the work has already been done for us. LOVE what you did!

• Cindy Hagemann

Kitty -

our porch was already under the roof of the house, so we added insulation, framing, windows, siding, etc. we added a vent for our HVAC system. The windows get lots of natural light so on a sunny day even cold - it stays pretty warm.

• Amberjrn

Love the faux brick wall~~ wanting time do this in my laundry room in basement....how much should I budget froM this is about same area? Is chalk paint easy to clean~ is that why you chose that and how did you speckle? Thanks~~ the whole project is spectacular!

• Cindy Hagemann

I don’t remember how much the panels cost, just Google it. You can use any paint you want, but I like chalk paint because it is thick and sticks to anything.