Mikie
Mikie
  • Hometalk Helper
  • United States

Replacing Front Gate and Walkway.

$200

This fix was way, way over do. I dragged my feet long enough. So, let's get dirty!
Mike
Mike
I started by removing the walkway. 
replacing front gate and walkway
First to get started this big Oak tree root had to be chopped out. I enjoy the build but not crazy about prep work.
replacing front gate and walkway
Root's to remove. The root's lifted the old walkway boards right off the deck frame.
replacing front gate and walkway
Here I started to form up the frame for the walkway using pressure treated 2"x4"'s.
replacing front gate and walkway
here's a nice pile of roots and rotten walkway boards.
replacing front gate and walkway
All formed up, leveled, squared, and staked down ready to be decked.
replacing front gate and walkway
And, as I said, a project way over do.
replacing front gate and walkway
I took a short break to get a snapshot (and a cold one) of an Atlas missile being launched from the cape here in Florida.  I believe this missile is taking supply's to the space station.  There's a lot of Satellites launched here often.  I'm about 45 miles south of the Cape.
replacing front gate and walkway
And this is the Ice trail left behind by the Atlas after the launch. OK, back to work.
replacing front gate and walkway
Here I have the deck board's screwed into place, and I'm also fitting the gate I made to the fence. (starting ta get dark on me).
replacing front gate and walkway
here's the walkway and gate before the paint and stain. Now a little clean up before the finishing.
replacing front gate and walkway
I used gray exterior semi gloss paint on the fence, and golden oak stain and sealer on the gate and walkway.  Here I also made a gate latch. (my invention) 
replacing front gate and walkway
I'm cutting 4 faux marine pier post's. two for each end of the walkway out of landscaping posts.
replacing front gate and walkway
I've cut my pier post's and I wrapped them with marine rope around the top's, staggered them and installed them on each end of the walkway.  I added 2 Sun's made of metal on each side of the gate. 
replacing front gate and walkway
  • All done. I added a solar light on top of the tallest pier post on each end, plus a small solar light at the top of the fence on each side. I'm going to add a painting of a large Pelican on the gate, and a couple of Seagull's flying near the Sun's on each side of the gate.  Then I'll seal them and  urethane the pic's. This is my first post, Hope ya'll enjoyed, Thank you.     

• Mor29246362

Did you use pressure treated lumber 2x4’s? Did you just place them in ground or dirt and level? Did you put any weed barrier under deck boards? I think I could do this project since doesn’t look like concrete and such used for base making it easier.

• Don30661044

He said near the top of the post that he used pressure treated 2x4's. Looks great. Will you be documenting you're project, Morgantown1971?

• Joanie

Nice job you did there Mikie!! I like your choice of stain for your floor and door. Is that where you keep your Bike?

• Mm215763110

I’m looking forward to seeing the pelican ! Great job !! Any pictures of follow up ?

• Carol Willis-Holden

Nice job, Mikie! And thanks for sharing the missile launch. We Floridians are lucky that, even down here in West Palm Beach, we can see the launches, so it's extra-special to let others around the country "share" the experience!

• Mikie

Thank you very much Carol. I was born in West Palm Beach. My sister still lives there. Small world isn't it!!

• Mikie

If you'd like to leave a comment, type it here in the question boxes. My comment section is full and I can't get anymore comments there. Thank you........