Wire Cloche

$5

I love the cloches and I made one before from chicken wire but it just wasn't the look I wanted. I saw this wire trash basket at the Dollar store and thought this would be perfect to try again. My girlfriend and I had lunch the day before and she bought one at Kirkland's but I just wouldn't spend the money. I knew I could make one for a faction of the cost of hers. So lets get started

What you'll need:

• Wire Trash Basket
  • Wire cutters
  • Aluminum foil 3"
  • Knob (drawer Pull)
  • Glue Sticks
  • Knock-out Seal (Electrical department) 
  • Hammer
  • Wood candle stick

Step one you'll remove the bottom of the wire basket with your wire cutters. Just do the last row that is round the basket

Here you can see how I'm removing just the bottom

After that is off you'll bend the top down and pinch tightly together like an accordion, all the way around making the hole on top about 1.5

You have to keep pushing down and pinching to make the opening smaller and smaller

Once you get to a smaller size you'll take the wood candle stick and push the edges down and any bends that are not smooth. Then set that aside for a minute.

This is the 2" knock-out seal that I found at Lowes I wanted something metal to match the basket material but something that was solid. I did think of a washer but I couldn't have a hole in the middle. The knock-out seal has tabs on it that you can cut off or smash down with the hammer. That's what I did on this one.

Now that its ready to use keep it just like this and grab the wire basket

Set the wire basket on top of it squeezing it to fit right over it. 

You may need a second pair a hands at this point. While squeezing it use a generous amount of glue and put over the wire all the way around.

Before the glue dries grab that aluminum foil and place over the hot glue. Go back to your wood candle stick and press firmly, It may stick its ok.

Give it a few seconds and make sure the wire and knock out cap is secure. Then peel off the foil. (when gluing don't go over the cap edges or you'll see it on top) also at this time shape it if you need to with the wood candle stick so there are not dents, you want it nice and round.

Now turn the cloche over, it should have a nice clean top.

Grab the knob of your choice and glue it on. You could use a finial or a small animal such as a bird. I have seen many different tops be creative and give it your personal touch.  

Its done, I love it! It turned out just the way I wanted it to look, clean and store bought. I have made a few out of the white and black wire trash cans but you could also paint the basket in a metallic paint for a whole different look. See my post to see how I made the white cloche base out of a Dollar store pizza pan and old couch leg.

• Carrie weilandt

Why wouldn’t you use two large washers for the top and sandwich the basket it between them? then you would not have to glue the knob down.

• Louise

Where is the candle stick in the finish product?

• Gayle

Not sure, but think she is just using it to press the foil down.

• Millies_mom47

Couldn't you have cut the tabs into skinnier tabs and fold them through some of the openings in the wire basket? That would help to hold the knock-out seal stay put then you could also use the glue or use construction adhesive or that E6000 glue or liquid nails to do the holding. It wouldn't dry as fast but you wouldn't have to worry about burning anything. But the tabs being cut into thinner tabs it could be really secure and it would help hold it while the other kind of adhesive you used dried. But I think this was a wonderful idea!! Good job!

• Janet

Actually, I think this would have looked as lovely with the trach can botton still intact.

I thought were were making a lampshade. This would make a really cool pendent shade.