Wire Cloche

$5

I love the cloches and I made one before from chicken wire but it just wasn't the look I wanted. I saw this wire trash basket at the Dollar store and thought this would be perfect to try again. My girlfriend and I had lunch the day before and she bought one at Kirkland's but I just wouldn't spend the money. I knew I could make one for a faction of the cost of hers. So lets get started

wire cloche

What you'll need:

• Wire Trash Basket
  • Wire cutters
  • Aluminum foil 3"
  • Knob (drawer Pull)
  • Glue Sticks
  • Knock-out Seal (Electrical department) 
  • Hammer
  • Wood candle stick
wire cloche

Step one you'll remove the bottom of the wire basket with your wire cutters. Just do the last row that is round the basket

wire cloche

Here you can see how I'm removing just the bottom

wire cloche

After that is off you'll bend the top down and pinch tightly together like an accordion, all the way around making the hole on top about 1.5

wire cloche

You have to keep pushing down and pinching to make the opening smaller and smaller

wire cloche

Once you get to a smaller size you'll take the wood candle stick and push the edges down and any bends that are not smooth. Then set that aside for a minute.

wire cloche

This is the 2" knock-out seal that I found at Lowes I wanted something metal to match the basket material but something that was solid. I did think of a washer but I couldn't have a hole in the middle. The knock-out seal has tabs on it that you can cut off or smash down with the hammer. That's what I did on this one.

wire cloche

Now that its ready to use keep it just like this and grab the wire basket

wire cloche

Set the wire basket on top of it squeezing it to fit right over it. 

wire cloche

You may need a second pair a hands at this point. While squeezing it use a generous amount of glue and put over the wire all the way around.

wire cloche

Before the glue dries grab that aluminum foil and place over the hot glue. Go back to your wood candle stick and press firmly, It may stick its ok.

wire cloche

Give it a few seconds and make sure the wire and knock out cap is secure. Then peel off the foil. (when gluing don't go over the cap edges or you'll see it on top) also at this time shape it if you need to with the wood candle stick so there are not dents, you want it nice and round.

wire cloche

Now turn the cloche over, it should have a nice clean top.

wire cloche

Grab the knob of your choice and glue it on. You could use a finial or a small animal such as a bird. I have seen many different tops be creative and give it your personal touch.  

wire cloche

Its done, I love it! It turned out just the way I wanted it to look, clean and store bought. I have made a few out of the white and black wire trash cans but you could also paint the basket in a metallic paint for a whole different look. See my post to see how I made the white cloche base out of a Dollar store pizza pan and old couch leg.

• Queeneilee

Going to try

• Lisa

thank you so much for the tutorial!! It totally made sense to me from the beginning. I’d love to have good reason to fancy myself a DIYer. You’ve restored my faith in myself. I hope I’ll get to learn from you again!!

• Shelly L Nemeth

Thank you I have many quick and easy projects. You can follow me! Have an awesome holiday!!