Mini Church Pew Makeover

$40

We've all seen the photos on Pinterest, of a gorgeous church pew in the entryway, right? It's a great piece of farmhouse style decor - except for one thing.

They’re so stinking BIG! Who has room for an 8 foot bench!

So when I spotted this mini church pew at a local consignment store, you better believe I was all over it!

At just over 4 feet long not only was it a lot more manageable for me to move and haul and refinish, but also a more perfect size for home use.

Since the pew looked homemade and was in rough shape, I first sanded the bench as much as I could to remove any imperfections. I used my pad sander and 80 grit sandpaper. Once sanded, I cleaned the bench then grabbed my stain and sponge and got to work!

Gloves are also a must for this job! Apply the GF Java Gel stain section by section, leaving a wet edge as you go. The nice thing about working with a Stain sponge is that it wipes off the excess as you go, keeping the finish nice and consistent. 

Once the gel stain was dry, I sealed it with three coats of HP top coat in a flat finish; sanding between each coat. This church pew may still show it's age but in a much more subtle way. 

Believe it or not this church pew is actually quite a comfortable place to sit! I added a few pillows, including one we MADE with Chalk Couture (my tutorial coming soon).

As always, click on the blog link below to see more details on this fun project that you can easily do at home.

👇👇👇👇

http://www.rootsandwingsfurniture.com/blog/churchpew

Also be sure to follow me on Facebook @rootsandwingsfurniture. Subscribe to my newsletter for current projects, helpful insider tips and support! 

Jenni Ingram