Container Herb Container

I had planned on using a plastic flower container the previous owners had left at the house but Mr. B expressed concerns about drainage and standing water under the container on the wooden deck. I considered it a valid enough concern that I went in search of something better. I found the perfect solution at Home Depot!
container herb container, container gardening, flowers, gardening
It's made specifically for patio gardening! It's not too big, 24"x20" which is the right size for a variety of herbs for just the two of us. You could also use it for a small veggie garden too. Lettuce, cherry tomatoes, whatever you'd like to grow but don't have the room for!
I love that it is on casters (included in the packaging) so I can easily move it out of the intense sun or, if hail is in the forecast, I can roll it under the eaves for shelter. Plus, it's elevated so, if I do over water or we get a rain storm it will dry out naturally.
A big thank you to DTL Herbs LTD for answering my questions on the best soil medium to use! After some back and forth it was a suggestion that I use a light garden soil (like from Miracle Gro). I was concerned that a normal potting soil would be too dense and I think the garden soil will work wonderfully! The container is self watering too! See more here: http://www.kathewithane.com/2014/05/container-herb-garden.html
Kathe With An E (Kathe)

• Lek33900712

What happens to the wood on a wooden deck, with the constant water from the container. I am concerned about my deck rotting away because of the water from the containers. Any ideas on how to avoid that situation?

• Florida Beachpotato

If the deck wood is not pressure treated or marine grade, forget about it. Contractor skimped on the quality. Otherwise you should be fine.

• Jud7872415

I'm going to save this for next year plus end of season should have great prices on larger planters!!

• Lisa

i have various herbs in separate pots in my kitchen and do not have deep window sills to put the pots on- I am thinking this may be a nice way to plant the herbs and maybe paint or decorate the planter to keep under the window for sunlight ?! Thanks for the idea !!