Container Herb Container

I had planned on using a plastic flower container the previous owners had left at the house but Mr. B expressed concerns about drainage and standing water under the container on the wooden deck. I considered it a valid enough concern that I went in search of something better. I found the perfect solution at Home Depot!
It's made specifically for patio gardening! It's not too big, 24"x20" which is the right size for a variety of herbs for just the two of us. You could also use it for a small veggie garden too. Lettuce, cherry tomatoes, whatever you'd like to grow but don't have the room for!
I love that it is on casters (included in the packaging) so I can easily move it out of the intense sun or, if hail is in the forecast, I can roll it under the eaves for shelter. Plus, it's elevated so, if I do over water or we get a rain storm it will dry out naturally.
A big thank you to DTL Herbs LTD for answering my questions on the best soil medium to use! After some back and forth it was a suggestion that I use a light garden soil (like from Miracle Gro). I was concerned that a normal potting soil would be too dense and I think the garden soil will work wonderfully! The container is self watering too! See more here: http://www.kathewithane.com/2014/05/container-herb-garden.html

Kathe With An E (Kathe)

• Lek33900712

What happens to the wood on a wooden deck, with the constant water from the container. I am concerned about my deck rotting away because of the water from the containers. Any ideas on how to avoid that situation?

• Florida Beachpotato

If the deck wood is not pressure treated or marine grade, forget about it. Contractor skimped on the quality. Otherwise you should be fine.

• Lisa

i have various herbs in separate pots in my kitchen and do not have deep window sills to put the pots on- I am thinking this may be a nice way to plant the herbs and maybe paint or decorate the planter to keep under the window for sunlight ?! Thanks for the idea !!
  • Ammoh513

I have these planters (actually 3 of them). I use them for my herbs basil (sweet, lemon, thai), cilanto, thyme ( regular and lemon) rosemary, dill, chives, scallions and oregano and tomato plants.