Five Star Backyard Seating on a No-Tell Motel Budget

$104

These outdoor chaise lounges looked like the type of chairs that guy from Hotel Impossible would rant and rave about--then toss into the pool. "These chairs are filthy! They are rusty!" I can hear him hollering at some clueless hotel owner. "Would YOU sit in these?!"
It's amazing what a little Soft Scrub and spray paint can do!
Here's how I transformed these filthy rusty loungers into five-star backyard seating on a no-tell motel budget. Now they are for summer!
Outdoor furniture is almost as pricey as a living room set! I am way too cheap to pay that much for something that is going to sit outside in the heat, endure summertime thunderstorms and get stacked up in my shed all winter. My mom talked me into buying these lounge chairs for $10 each. Truthfully, I thought it was too much at the time until I saw how beautiful my mom's chairs just like them turned out after my dad cleaned them up and spray painted them sage green. Here are my mom's chairs:
I used Krylon Fusion spray paint in high-gloss red. This paint is great because it doesn't require much prep (other than scrubbing the heck out of these chairs because they were really dirty!) Krylon Fusion sticks to plastic and dries in about 15 minutes.
I flipped over the chairs and sprayed the bottoms first to get underneath all of those slats.
Look at the big difference already!
I bought 4 cans of spray paint for this project and thought that would be plenty... then I broke two of my three Very Important Spray Painting Rules. I ended up going back to the store for Can #5. My dad, on the other hand, always follows the rules and sprayed both chairs AND a small plastic table using only 3 cans.
Even so, I still spent less on two lounge chairs AND cushions than I would have spent on just one chair alone purchased new.
Here the are! Five star seating for my backyard on a no-tell motel budget!
BUDGET:
Chairs ($10 each) = $20
5 cans of spray paint ($4 each) = $20
Cushions ($32 each) = $64
TOTAL COST: $104
To see more of my DIY projects and learn my Three Very Important Spray Painting Rules, please check out my All Things New Again Blog. Thanks!
Courtney @ All Things New Again

• Stephanie

Do you think I can do that on a chair with a wicker-type seat and metal frame?

• Hi Stephanie. Yes! Spray paint is my favorite thing for painting wicker because you can get it into all of those little crevices easier than with a paint brush. If you are painting the wicker seat and the metal frame the same color, it will be very easy to spray it. Just apply a light coat at first. Don't worry about full coverage on the first go-around. It takes a few layers of spray paint to fully cover the wicker because those little crevices can be so sneaky. You think you have them covered, but then you find a spot you missed! But it will look very pretty when you are done.

• Karen Interdonato

great looking and great priced cushions can be found at Dollar General. My question is, the slats were broken, how do they get repaired? Thank you!

• Val3022267

@Karen Interdonato

• @Karen Interdonato Well.... I still haven't repaired the slats...and I did this project two summers ago. You can purchase the slats online, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Once the cushions go on, you can't see the broken slats and the chairs are comfy to sit in so I forget all about the broken slats until winter when I pack the cushions away. Then it isn't such a priority, you know? :) Somebody left a comment earlier that she used Gorilla Tape to repair broken slats. I might give that a try this year.

• Joan

I love these. Where did you get the cushions?

• Dia4700612

How did you spray under the webbing where the they cross? My webbing it even wider than yours and I can't figure out how to paint under the crossing strap.

• Hi! If the webbing is tight, I don't worry about getting underneath it because you don't see it. If the webbing slips, I just hold it out as far as it goes and spray any bare spots I see. You might have to come back a few times to hit spots you missed. This is one of those projects where you think you are done....and then you see a spot where you missed or where the webbing slipped. Once the cushions go on, you really don't notice any imperfections in the paint job.

• Morgan

Will the paint melt due to the sun if you don't put cushions on? I don't want people to sit and have webbing printed on their behinds.

• Jen7154691

I just did this on 2 of my chairs. They were white but yellowed in the sun so I painted them white again. They look great but it's been days since I've painted them and I just went to put the cushions on and they got coated with white dust from the paint. Why is this happening?

• DD

Did you clean the chairs with soapy water or cleaner first? If it was windy out, or if the spray can was too far from the chair, the sprayed particles could have dried out on it's way to the chair just enough so it didn't stick. Wipe the loose particles off gently with a rag or soft brush and try spraying again.

• Jen7154691

Thanks for your advice, DD! I did clean them with a bleach cleaner and rinsed with water and let dry before spray painting them. I painted in garage so wind wasn't an issue. Should I wet them with a hose or wet rag to wipe away the dry paint that didn't adhere ? Or do I need to spray another coat? Thanks!

• Morgan

• Hi Morgan! I have not experienced any issues with the paint melting in the sun. I recommend following the instructions on the paint can for how long the paint needs to dry before use. ..and then add another day or two if the weather is very humid because that will impact drying time. Once it is completely dry, it should be ok. Great question! --Courtney

• STacy L Kukafka-Brown

Home Depot has something similar

• Phyllis

Were you able to fix the broken webbing.

• Hi Phyllis! I never did fix the broken webbing. Once the new cushions were in place, you couldn't see the broken webbing anymore and the seats were comfy for sitting. I moved on to the next project and forgot all about the webbing. I have been using these lounge chairs for a few summers now. They still look good--and they are very comfortable. The broken webbing has not been an issue.

• Phyllis

The reason I ask is because I have some chairs with broken webbing. Several are broken in the seat. So I can't sit in them anymore. Just wondering if anyone knew how to fix them before they go to the dump. I love the color red. My favorite. Phyllis.

• Erich Schilling

Yes, Phyllis, they are fairly simple to repair. If it is the vinyl type, with the plastic rivets that hold them in place, you remove the old plastic rivets with a screw driver, and find a company that sells the vinyl straps. I have 4 lounge chairs outside and all 4 need re strapping. Go to patiofurniturerehab.com and watch the videos on how to re strap your chairs. It is easy. They sell the supplies too.....

• Lynne B.

Could you use the chairs without cushions? I don't have anyplace to store cushions in rain or bad weather so I need furniture without cushions.

• Jma8823334

is it a good idea to spray paint wicher furniture? I am tired of the dark color. Sorry I have no pictures camera broken

• Susan

I have spray painted mine. Turned out great!

• Sure! Spray paint is a great way to freshen up wicker furniture. Just keep in mind it may take a few coats to get underneath all of the wicker. You will think you got everything, then you will find one little spot you missed. No worries! It will look beautiful when you are done.

• Felicia Spivey

My reply on the question about painting wicker !! Wow well of course you can paint wicker any color I've been painting wicker furniture for 100 years they've all been to every color in the rainbow and it's just amazing what a little bit of spray paint will do to for everything ! So the person concerned about spray paint in that wicker I'm sure it turned out fabulous !! And a bug hello to Courtney @ all things new again ....you seem to be a wizard is like myself I need to check out your website have a great day everyone

• Meme

What are your spray painting rules?

• Fai2833084

Where did you buy those very cute cushions?

• Cheryl

Question for you or anyone - I have two gliders made like your chairs but the paint is peeling on the metal parts, what do I need to do? I really want to freshen them up. We love sitting in them on our back porch but they are looking shabby (and not in a good way).

• Tjp14016164

I just paid to have my metal glider powdercoated (painted). They soaked glider in chemicals for two days to get paint off n then five coats of paint. Looks brand new.
      I had tried several times to paint myself. Didn't last....chipped.
    • Cheryl

How much did that cost and where did you take them?
    • Vanessa Simmons

Google stripping, make that paint stripping :-o, in your local area and see what is nearby. I just dropped off a metal lawn chair at my local stripper yesterday. It will cost $50 to get it down to the rust, I mean metal. He showed me some "clam chairs" that had to be dipped 5 times and still aren't done so it may take a while. You will probably have to pay a hazardous waste disposal fee also, depending on where you live. His is 5%.

If you want to powder coat...google that to see if anything is available.
  • Rebecca Riehm

Will paint cover plastic coated wicker furniture?
    • Hi Rebecca. Spray paint will cover it. Just look for spray paint that says it sticks to plastic and make sure you clean the furniture really well first. --Courtney
  • Becky

Do you know how to paint concrete patio furniture? I have an ugly round concrete table with 3 rounded concrete benches. Thanks for any advice.
  • Barbara Derucher

How did you repair the broken webbing on the chaise?
  • Wil11292940

Where to buy fusion paint
  • Tammy Schnell

Where did you the cushions?
  • Bet8212509

What did your dad use to prepare the metal for painting? I have 3 tables where the paint is peeling off and don't know what to use/do prior to painting!
  • Cyn28601033

How do you fix the broken straps?
  • J

Are straps woven or the stretchable vinyl

• Arnold Harris

The colors go well together. I hope the paint does not wash in water.

• Debbie

Not a question but a WOW!! Both colors were beautiful. Great job. And thanks for the Idea. It's what I am going to do with my chairs today!!!