Julee
Julee
  • San Antonio, TX

New Bed

$200

I realized the other day that my 11 year old could not stretch out straight in her full sized bed anymore. Her feet would hang over the edge. So I looked online for beds and just gave up.

new bed

I didn’t want to spend the money on a new bed and I was at a standstill with projects so I decided to grab some lumber from Lowes and create my own!

new bed

So we created a plan and started cutting the wood. Within no time I had the headboard completed and upright!

new bed

I created an apron for the daybed next.

new bed

I added slats along the bottom for support. I placed a plywood board on top of the slates so that it would hold the mattress properly.

new bed

All that was left to do was to figure out a trundle design for storage! I originally created one big trundle and was going to buy aweomse dividers and accessories for her. That idea failed somehow. I ended up creating 3 separate drawers that she can fill to her heart’s content!

new bed, This was the first design as one big trundle

This was the first design as one big trundle.

new bed

The finished product! What do you think?

Julee

• Mary Becker

How long is it? What size mattress did you use? My 11 year old grandson has the same dangling feet problem. 😝

• Sue

If you do a single & not a full size bed, an extra long twin is 1/2 of a king size bed. Great idea!

• Cze17582784

Looks great!!! I have been looking at places for beds for my

giant husband and can’t find any that would hold his frame I think I will take your inspiration and build an adult version. What did you do for the drawer support?

• Julee

I just used a plywood base for the drawer and two heavy duty castors near the back third. The drawer will not come all the way out unless angled properly so it’s is balanced by the outside frame and the castors when closed. I apologize for not taking pictures of the drawers, but I didn’t do them the “right” way

• Janet B

Love it!!! Brilliant!!!

• Sarge

I need one for my space in the basement!! You'd love New York!

• Carley
    11 hours ago

Looks like something you could buy in a store! Great job!