Helen
Helen
  • Tutorial Team
  • Bel Air, MD

DIY DESK WITH CHAIR

$80

I have a loft area that was underutilized. I decided to create an inexpensive desk using wood crates, an old wood board for the top. I found an old chair at goodwill with a disgusting cushion so I DIY’d it😁

diy desk with chair
I used white chalk paint on top of desktop. I then dry brushed multiple colors lightly to give dimension. I finished with a light coat of wax.
diy desk with chair
I used white chalk paint on desk top. I then added multiple colors lightly to give dimension.
diy desk with chair
I stacked the crates vertically and horizontally. This made the desk higher. I secured with nails underneath.
diy desk with chair
I scrubbed the chair and removed the old cushion saving the plywood for the new cushion and fabric. I spray painted teal. Then I recovered and secured the cushion using tacs.
diy desk with chair
Before dirty and nasty chair but I loved the height.
diy desk with chair
After removing fabric.
diy desk with chair
Love spray paint!
diy desk with chair
2 coats of teal.
diy desk with chair
diy desk with chair
This was a two part project done at different intervals. I love my new desk and chair. I can store paper, labels etc inside the crates.

• JudyH

Does your desk have enough knee room to pull your chair up close enough to use the keyboard without having to bend to reach it?

• JudyH

Thanks, Helen. I couldn't quite tell from the last photo. Great project for a quirky space!

• Barbara

That chair is incredible! The style is wonderful, does anyone know what the style is called?

• Patricia Miller Jensen

What paint do you recommend for boat upholstery ? Thank you